Mini fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gravityspiral

Reaction score
So I tried to search around and couldn't really find much, hopefully you guys with more experience can point me in the right direction.

Basically, I see these kegerators online for beaucoup bucks and I do plan on getting one eventually, but right now I just want a mini fridge I can put one or two cornies in and keep them cool. No draft dispenser, no CO2 tank, regulator, any of that stuff. Just a run of the mill $100-$150 mini fridge.

The problem is that all of the mini-fridges in that price range have built-in shelves, or can racks, or all sorts of stuff on the inside that makes fitting even one corny keg impossible. I'll give you an example: here's one that I've had since long before I started brewing, you'll see (because I was bored enough to highlight) the areas I'm talking about: shelving built into the actual wall of the fridge.

Does anyone know of a generic, low-cost mini-fridge that's just plain EMPTY? Like five plain walls and a door?

h2Tlmnt.jpg

I don't know of any that are empty but I do know of plenty models that can be converted easily, as in 15-30 minutes easy. I think the model I have is a FR464 frigidaire. Paid about 150 or less for it.

The shelves can be removed easily, the freezer portion is the problem with most. Some, you will have to bend the freezer coil down, if you just have a thermostat up there, it's as easy as taking out the screws that hold it on and letting it flop around or velco/screwing it somewhere else. I can find some links if you want?

Also look out for ones that have cooling tubing under the shelves. Often if you try to bend them out of the way you either kink or break the cooling lines. You might just have to go to stores that have one on display that you can open and take a look.

I have a Black and Decker that I use for my fermentation chamber. It is in the end of an insulated cabinet. It has a hump in the back so could not be converted. I have my kegs in a freezer on top refrigerator. It fits 3 kegs - taps in the door.

Take a look at this thread https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f35/best-mini-fridge-kegerator-190135/

I ended up getting this one from Walmart http://www.walmart.com/ip/Danby-4.4-...Specifications
I decided on the Danby because it does not have a freezer in the top. I can get one keg plus my CO2 bottle into the fridge without any modifications. I think you might have to cut out part of the door to get a second keg in there. There is a bump-out of about 6" in the bottom to make room for the refrigeration unit which limits the available space. I think most mini fridges have that bump-out.

So far it is working quite well. I can get and maintain temps well below freezing.

Look around though. After I bought mine with my employee 10% discount at Wally World, I found the same thing at Costco in black for about $30 less than what I paid.

Back