mini fridge extension help needed

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yewtah-brewha

Reaction score
Getting ready to add a 1x6 to the front of my mini fridge, my purpose in using a 1x6 is so I can ferment in a 5 gallon carboy as well as keep 2 cornys in there. my hope is also that I don't have to cut the plastic front as I may want to convert back to mini fridge someday,

the question I have is this:

Will the door stay shut when it butts up to the wood or do I need to strap it or add some type of latch. I plan on using some type of silicone between the wood and fridge so i can also remove it in the future, although I will probably just use it for a permanent lager device.

any helps appreciated.:rockin:

2 kegs don't fit side by side in the mini's. I built a bigger box in front of mine so that
I could have two chambers (ale & lager). For the work being done, I figured the larger
size was worth it. I insulated mine also (1.75" foam to keep the heat out.)

If just doing 1 x 6 you'll have to redo the hinges and a latch to keep the door closed.
Yes, the seal is magnetic.

I don't have any photos at the moment, but I simply added the metal drywall edging all along the front inside edge of the wooden extension; the magnets in the fridge door are strong enough that it pulls it tight to the box, no need for hinges or any additional closures. Worth investigating!

I don't have any photos at the moment, but I simply added the metal drywall edging all along the front inside edge of the wooden extension; the magnets in the fridge door are strong enough that it pulls it tight to the box, no need for hinges or any additional closures. Worth investigating!

Your a freaking genius! I never would have thought of that on my own. I thought about metal drip edge for roofing, but its to big:mug: I think. anyway I have some metal corner beed I will try it out! Thanks

Back