Mini fridge as a Fermentation Chamber?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IrocChris

Reaction score
I saw a few "how to's" online (regarding fitting a carboy in) but i was wondering if anyone here has modified and used the mini setup. If so, let me know what you think please.

If you use blowoff tubes, the carboys should fit fine if you take the door pop holder off. You can modify the normal thermostat to only cool to fermentation temps, but its a real pain in the butt. I recommend getting a johnson or ranco controller.

Also, I recommend using a fan, The fan really helps to cool faster and keep the temps standardized within the fridge. the best fan I have found is called vornado, since its small, quiet cheap easy to aim and has a high/low setting.
I personally use SS pots and extended the doors 1", but carboys work alternatively.

I think I have some pics of mine here:
http://www.londonbrewers.ca/blog

I had a 4.5cuFt magic chef mini fridge i used to use for cellaring beer before it couldnt handle the capacity anymore. I had great success carefully bending the coolant line/freezer down to fit a carboy in the upper cavity eliminating the need to cut away at the compressor hump or fabricate a collar

Thanks guys. I am going to give it a try. Ill let you know how it goes.

Back