Mini co2/keg or bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmill

Reaction score
I've managed to strike a deal with my father in law for fridge space in exchange for beer since I only have space for a mini-fridge style kegerator that holds 2 kegs max. He's giving me at least 1 large shelf in their 3rd fridge which can fit 2 kegs. I'm hoping to use this for lagers or some beers that will require longer aging periods.

I've made him a 70 Shilling that is in its second week in the primary now. I want to let him keep it at his house and be able to test it over time and serve whenever he wants. I got a new 5 gal keg for his beer, but don't necessarily want to spend another $150 for a regulator, co2 tank/fill, and picnic tap. A pump tap is cheaper, but there is no way he could finish 5 gals in a few days.

Has anyone had any experience with the mini CO2 regulators? Since he is more a pint a session guy, I feel that he wouldn't go through these really quickly.

The other option is bottling and storing those bottles in the same fridge. I already have the equipment for bottling that came with my kit, and have begun saving/cleaning bottles. Much cheaper, but takes up a bit of space while it ages. I don't think he'll mind having bottles v. keg, but I don't want his beer to have to sit and take up more space.

1. Has anyone used the mini CO2 regulators? 2. Thoughts on that v. bottling?

I bought a mini regulator to take kegs to parties, it was cheap on Ebay and uses this giant 85 gram CO2 cannister. It can supposedly dispense an entire sixtel with one cartridge. Still, I don't think I'd want to leave kegs at anybody else's place. You constantly have to watch for CO2 leaks and understand how the system works. With bottles that's it.. just leave them in the fridge and open them wherever. That's what I'd do personally.

I have a mini co2 charger with a ball lock connection, but it has no regulator so you just kinda squirt in a random amount. It works great on large growlers. I have not yet used it for long term storage. I got it on amazon prime for about 25 bucks.

Thanks for the replies. Ended up bottling my father-in-law's 70 Shilling tonight. 54 bottles. I figure the less fuss for him, the better. I still get a shelf for aging kegs, and he gets 2+ cases of decent homebrew....soon to be good homebrew. Now to get on that oktoberfest to lager in his fridge.

Back