Mini 2.5 Gallon Kegerator?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmarsh544

Reaction score
Has anyone ever considered or made a mini kegerator to house a single 2.5 gallon keg? I have been recently making 2.5 gallon test batches and I have discovered that 2.5 gallon kegs are awesome! There are a couple people in my life who I would love to setup with a mini kegerator and deliver a new 2.5 gallon keg to every 6 weeks or so. I know it would take a little money and some work, but it seems like it could be really cool and you could put the shank right through the front door. I was thinking something like this:

What do you guys think?

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1391369505.941919.jpg

I was thinking about this again tonight so I thought I'd give it a bump to see if it catches anyone's eye. I think I'll spend some time this weekend researching the interior diameter of these small fridges. Cheers~

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I like it. You are an awesome friend to think of that for others

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I wouldn't think it would be a problem. i use 2.5 gal kegs in my current kegerator without any problems.

I used to have one of these for 5L minikegs but it might serve your purpose (you would have to check the height). But they have a hole cut in the door for the shank already and mine got nice and cold.

http://www.staples.com/Avanti-17-CU-FT-Portable-Party-Pub/product_958935

I know it sounds strange but staples puts these on sale occasionally. I got mine for $150 which ain't too shabby

K

Just wanted to say, it is going to be awfully cramped in that fridge with a CO2 cylinder and regulator, beer line, gas line, etc. Don't forget that there is a hump inside the fridge for the compressor, and it probably takes up 25% of the total volume of the cube in a fridge like that. You might not even be able to fit the corny itself in there even with the gas hardware on the outside. Especially if the cooling element is configured to be a freezer compartment, you will have some trouble.

We converted one of these:
71Rg8b8s6yL._SL1500_.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00ECPIDZ8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

with the intention of having 3 taps for 5L mini-kegs. We have two taps, and with a small CO2 cylinder (2.5lb, smallest I know of) and regulator, manifold, gas lines and beer lines it will barely fit those 3 mini-kegs comfortably (and they are a lot more maneuverable than a 2.5gal corny).

BTW, I recommend that above fridge for a conversion project like this. It is a little taller than the one you showed, but wouldn't be out of place on a countertop. The nice thing about it is that the cooling element is embedded in the ceiling and the freezer compartment is just created by an easily removeable insulation panel. With that removed it would have enough room for a small CO2 cylinder and one (or maybe even two) 2.5gal corny kegs. It won't fit a commercial sixtel though, and I doubt it would fit a 5gal corny keg. We got ours for something like $150 from Sears and shipping was only 7 bucks if you can believe that.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like that nostalgia electric. Looks cool.

I pulled out my old avanti and it will fit a 2.5Gal corny (the one from adventures in homebrew). It would need a small C02 cylinder in terms of height there is plenty of side to side space. The fridge was made to run with a 12oz paintball C02 canister which fits in the door with the regulator, but the supplied lines and tap use a very small tubing. Having just built a kegorator though I'm sure you could upgrade the tap, lines and C02 (although I would bet you could use the paintball tank if you are only serving and not carbonating).

Anyway. Good luck and post a pic of whatever you end up doing

K

Back