mind your ball valves

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandoman

Reaction score
quick story about f'ing up

normal ten gallon brew day going well. Decided to use my homemade cfc. Forgot that, since it's gravity fed, it takes a good 45 minutes to chill and fill 2 carboys. Whoops, daughters soccer game is coming up and have to leave. OK, figure I can shut off the chill water and chiller and finish in an hour when it's over. No biggie, 1st carboy is only half full. Halfway from my house I think, "I know I shut the water off, but did I shut off the cfc? Surely, since there are two ball valves I at least got one of 'em". Got home from game to find 1 full to the rim carboy and about 5 gallons of hot sticky wort all over the floor of my garage. I'm left with 5 gallons of 100F wort. Chill it overnight to 50, let warm to 65, pitch almost 20 hours after boil. Hmmmmm. Is fermenting now, smells fine! Better to have half a batch than none at all.

CHECK YOUR VALVES!!!!!!!!!!!

That sucks man. I lost about a 1/4-1/2G last brew day due to the BK vlave being opened when I started adding my 1st runnings. Live and learn.

I think you are going to be OK. I read that Australian brewers will just cover their boil kettle with a lid to cool over night. Yours is not as extreme as that.

Just wait and see how it comes out.

yeah, i don't anticipate any sanitation issues.

irreg - chilicothe, eh? used to live in Findlay

jm - if the australians do it. . . . . .

Yeah, you just did Aussie no chill... congrats! I am experimenting with it today too!

Bummer, maybe that's why I don't use any valves, too complicated, only gravity. Up is off, down is on, very simple. Oh, forgot kinking the hose is also off.

Maybe I'm just lazy and cheap!

Just the other day when I was bottling I was transfering my beer to my boil kettle( fermented in my bottling bucket) and left the room after the syphon started. Walked back in just in time, my valve was open and I lost about 1 bottle worth on the floor. You got too really stay on top of those ball valves!

Back