Milling Picture Examples

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jharmon203

Reaction score
Is there a thread where people are showing how fine they are milling for brew in a bag? I know one of the first responses with missing efficiency marks is people asking the question "did you double mill?" or "what gap are you using?"

With BIAB you can mill as finely as your mill will allow, and it won't negatively impact the mashing/lautering process.

However, pulverizing the grain husks isn't necessarily good since it can cause flavor-related issues.
https://***************.com/wiki/Milling

crush1.jpg

from another thread.....the picture doesn't show how fine it is though....

However, pulverizing the grain husks isn't necessarily good since it can cause flavor-related issues.
I thought that school of thought has been shown to not necessarily be true at normal mash temperatures?
FWIW, here is a picture of the crush I’m using in my BIAB rig and I have never noticed any flavor problems nor has anyone else I’ve traded my beers with.
30F6A7B1-91EA-41CA-B7D1-CD6E0D325672.jpeg

I thought that school of thought has been shown to not necessarily be true at normal mash temperatures?
FWIW, here is a picture of the crush I’m using in my BIAB rig and I have never noticed any flavor problems nor has anyone else I’ve traded my beers with.
View attachment 689660

IMO, this looks like a decent crush for regular mashing too.

Not scientifically (to my knowledge), but it's true people are usually still happy with their beers. It may be more of an issue for brewers not adjusting pH, so YMMV depending on other factors.

Back