Quantcast

Miller high life

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

marc1

Reaction score
I had a high life last night for the first time in many many years. Thus was certainly the first time that I really paid attention to the flavor.
It had a distinct almost cidery flavor component. Is that yeast derived? It was very noticeable. If I had tasted it in one of my beers I would think that something was wrong, but Miller probably has their QC down, so it must be intentional?

Transamguy77

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
When I read the first post I laughed out loud, like for real, and not because I was mocking the OP but because I drink High Life several times a year when I go to my sister and brother in laws because that is the ONLY beer he drinks and I laughed because I don’t think I ever really thought about the taste, it’s not a good beer but it’s not bad either it’s just a beer.

Now the next time I’m over there I’ll have to analyze the taste a bit more.

OP
marc1

marc1

Reaction score
When I read the first post I laughed out loud, like for real, and not because I was mocking the OP but because I drink High Life several times a year when I go to my sister and brother in laws because that is the ONLY beer he drinks and I laughed because I don’t think I ever really thought about the taste, it’s not a good beer but it’s not bad either it’s just a beer.

Now the next time I’m over there I’ll have to analyze the taste a bit more.
LOL! I've been trying to pay careful attention to beer that I drink to learn more about tasting. So I'm curious if maybe it was just old bottles, or that yeast throws a bit of that flavor, or my taste buds were just way off that night.

Dland

Reaction score
Almost any kind of beer is better than no beer at all. Skunked, light struck, or just cheep beer' ...If in doubt, I recommend chilling to point just above freezing.

Dancy

Reaction score
Doesn't High Life (the Champaign of Bottled Beers) still come in clear bottles? Probably "light struck".
I thought commercial brewers treated their beer with “something” to prevent skunked beer when bottling in clear bottles. Is that correct?

Camelot Legends

Reaction score
Not sure about light struck but I can tell you this. I used to drink high life in high school quite a bit. I had a retired neighbor who only drank that and drank every day. We used to hang out in his driveway and he would share his beers. I recently brewed a cream ale with white labs yeast and liberty hops and it tasted really similar. I also fermented it low at 60 degrees. Fermentables were 2-row, Pilsner, flaked corn and honey malt. Could be one or a combination of these ingredients.

Bramling Cross

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I thought commercial brewers treated their beer with “something” to prevent skunked beer when bottling in clear bottles. Is that correct?
It's been a while since I read this, so I might not be fully correct, but I do recall that Miller's work around for the clear bottles was the development of specific hop extracts that avoided the issue.

Here's a BYO article that briefly touches on the issue--second section, bottom of second paragraph.

OP
marc1

marc1

Reaction score
OK, there was one left, and I had it last night. The date appeared to be from mid October, so not really old. It was not skunky, so I don't think it was light struck. There is something with special hop extract that the big guys use to prevent light struck flavor.

Second tasting, the cidery-ness was still there, but more of an aroma than a flavor. I think it's just the way I'm perceiving something about it. The Miller website says it's malted barley, Galena hops, and Miller yeast, so it doesn't appear to be an adjunct beer. 7 IBUs, which to my tastes is not nearly enough, but to style.

I don't think they're late hopping this bad boy, so I doubt the aroma is from Galena. Is there a similar yeast available for homebrewers to get? I'm thinking it's maybe a yeast aroma/flavor that I'm sensitive to?

Now I'm kind of curious to try a large blind sampling of American macro lagers.

brewdude88

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Second tasting, the cidery-ness was still there, but more of an aroma than a flavor. I think it's just the way I'm perceiving something about it. The Miller website says it's malted barley, Galena hops, and Miller yeast, so it doesn't appear to be an adjunct beer. 7 IBUs, which to my tastes is not nearly enough, but to style.
They do list those ingredients, but I doubt that's an all-inclusive list. I could be wrong, but I would bet my favorite dog there is an adjunct in there, they just aren't advertising it.

I would doubt they could get much aroma or flavor from 7 ibu's, so the galena is out of the question as you stated...

I did come across the following from a craft beer and brewing article on acetaldehyde:

"Certain yeast strains, such as American lager yeast (White Labs WLP840) produce more acetaldehyde than others, and indeed, a slight suggestion of green apple can be an appropriate component of light American lager styles."

This may be the case, and you may be especially sensitive to it...

Hammy71

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Like Brewdude said, it's probably something you are just more sensitive to than most. Sorta like 04 yeast. I can't stand it, but my friends think I'm crazy because they can't taste the "tang" that I do. We are all the same....but also quite different.

Latest posts