Milled grains

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelhult

Reaction score
Does anyone know if there is a problem with grains being too milled? I don't mean milled to flour but more milled than just cracked open.

Does anyone know if there is a problem with grains being too milled? I don't mean milled to flour but more milled than just cracked open.

Assuming we are talking about doing all grain beers and not simply steeping grains....

I do BIAB so my grind is quite fine since I am removing my grains from the wort in a self contained bag. Finer grinds give higher efficiency.

For MLT and other 3 vessel systems, grinds may be a bit more tricky due to sparging and what my ensue - stuck sparges.

But, by and large, you'll want the grains to be finer than barely cracked open.

Depends on how you brew. For BIAB, make it fine. For a 3 vessel system, you want a different crush.

I do biab and I find I have large amounts of finings in the bottom when I'm done my boil and moving to my carboy. Like a couple inches at least

I do biab and I find I have large amounts of finings in the bottom when I'm done my boil and moving to my carboy. Like a couple inches at least

What kind of bag are you using? Get yourself a Wilserbrewer bag and you'll have no problems.

Finings or break material? The only way you should be able to get that much fiinings is to mill your grain until it is flour, put the grain in the bag dry, and then shake the flour through. Break material looks like finings but is really just coagulated proteins. It's a normal product and 2 inches isn't too much.

Latest posts

Back