Milled grain how long can I store.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

idiot

Reaction score
I have 12lb of milled grain. It has been sitting in the freezer for 3 weeks. I am moving my apartment and this grain will have to go in a storage unit and sit there for a month. What will happen to it, the storage unit is not air conditioned. Should i throw it out or try it after a month?

It kind of depends on how much you have invested in that grain. I like that you've been storing it in the freezer, but then having it in a storage unit for a month with potentially significant temp swings....that's not going to help it any.

If it were me, I'd toss it, but you will get beer out of it. Is there someplace else you can store it? A friend's house? In your closet? Some place where you won't have the temp swings?

You were storing it as well as you could, but a month in an unconditioned storage unit is asking for trouble with milled or unmilled grain. Milled grain just means that the degradation will occur more quickly.

If your time is valuable, then toss the grain and start over. If money is valuable, then give it a go as soon as possible after getting your brewing kit back together.

If you can keep it air tight it'll probably be alright. The biggest enemy is moisture if you can keep it dry it should be OK. I've had milled grain out in my shed since January. We have cold winters and a warm spring, I don't think the swing in temperature made a difference. I brewed a beer with that grain last week. It was crisp and fresh. No problems.

Latest posts

Back