Milled grain from AHB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loobobone

Reaction score
I just received a shipment of several all-grain kits from Austin HB. I selected the "milled grain" option and that is what shows on my receipt. Looking at the grain, it does look like it has been milled somewhat. That said, after reading other threads on grain crushing it looks to me that it could have a little finer crush. I've used many kits from AHB before and they turn out great, but I have noticed I usually don't hit the OG they state. I always figured it was just a combination of things I did, but now I'm wondering if one of those is the grain milling. If anyone has any similar observations, let me know.

Yes - my first AG kit with AHS looked exactly as you described and I got a whopping 59% efficiency on that batch... Since then, I request on the order where you can put notes to them to crush the grains finer and I get back a good crush every time. Efficiency on the past two batches have been 75% and 79%. Not sure why they continue to put such a light crush by default.

Just request a finer crush and they will do you right.

HTH,
Dan

We have a brand new mill and have adjusted the crush. Let me know if you have a problem.

Dan, when was your first AG kit? The new kits that you are getting 75% to 79% are from the new mill run through normally. We DO NOT put a light crush by default.

I will look to make sure that the mill is set correctly.

loobobone - Did you contact the store yet? It is a good thing to let me know if there is a problem by calling or emailing the store.

Forrest

Forrest has done right by many people on this forum. Maybe the proper thing to do would be to contact him directly first, before posting some negativity about his practices. Just a thought.

As I clearly stated in my post - the kits have always turned out great. I wouldn't have called the store, as my question was just whether or not other home brewers had a perspective on the grain crush. Seemed to be a trend in some recent threads that a finer crush might be something to try. As always, ask homebrewers a question and the range of responses will be huge!:mug:

Anyway - love AHB and will be a long time customer!

Thanks for your support. Let me know if there is an issue. I am always there for you if there is a problem.

Forrest

Dan, when was your first AG kit? The new kits that you are getting 75% to 79% are from the new mill run through normally. We DO NOT put a light crush by default.

It has been quite some time, but I have requested a finer crush every since. I would assume if I REQUEST a finer crush they would be doing more than the normal crush... If this is not the case, I guess I will not bother to add additional comments to the order since they are not being read or acted on ;) (grin)

Dan

Dan, the crush you want and what makes you get 75% to 79% is the same crush everyone wants and we give to everyone. Your requests certainly make sure that you are receiving the crush you want.

The old mill had seen as much grain as a Blue Whale weighs.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_whale

With the old mill we would have had to do something more than the normal crush. We had to mill twice at the end of that mills life while we were waiting for the new mill to arrive.

We have certainly found out the life expectancy of a Pro Brewer Barley Crusher. This time we will stop short of Blue Whale and replace it.

We just want you to keep getting 75%-79% or better. Thanks for your continued business and support.

Forrest

That was a rib Forrest - you guys are doing a great job - that is why I continue doing business with you. As I have said before, it is not about the issues a company has - but rather how they correct them.

RDWHAHB and keep up the good work.

Dan

I've done 4 AG kits from AHS. The first I was off by 9 points. The second off by 5. The third off by one, and the fourth I was over 6 points on the SG. The first was nearly two months ago, the fourth was yesterday.

Back