Mill setting question for LHBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericd

Reaction score
The guy at my LHBS is pretty cool and lets me measure out my own grain, raid hops and yeast from the fridge and everything, he's pretty cool, so I think he'd grind the grain for me at the setting I wanted if I told him. What size do you recommend milling at so I know what to request? I've been getting low efficiency sometimes from him so I figure he may be pulling the typical trick.

somewhere between .040 and .036 works best for me and for most of us on the site iirc. start at .040 and work your way down till your happy and consistent.

It's not necessarily a "trick". They often set it to a size that works for most customers regardless of what the use as a lautering method.

I'd have to measure mine cause I can't remember, but it's basically "as close as possible". But then for some reason my manifold seems to enjoy 60% rye flake batches so it's really up to what your system can handle and also a grinder that doesn't turn out a crapload of flour or disintegrated husks.

I keep my Barley Crusher set at 0.025" and routinely exceed 85% efficiency. At spacings closer than that I start to shred the husks. With a setting of 25 mils I get split or whole husks and don't have any problems with stuck sparges.

I think you would be best to start out at .036 - .039 for the gap setting. I do not think your LHBS is pulling any tricks with the crushing. The gaps on the mills need to be checked as over time they will get wider, and then need to be reset at the proper gap settings. You may actually help him out be requesting a setting.

Ed

I think you would be best to start out at .036 - .039 for the gap setting. I do not think your LHBS is pulling any tricks with the crushing. The gaps on the mills need to be checked as over time they will get wider, and then need to be reset at the proper gap settings. You may actually help him out be requesting a setting.

Ed

What setting do you guys use? Whatever it is, I like it.

I got a 84% efficiency yesterday on a batch you crushed!

:ban:

We use .039", which is the default for the Barley Crusher that we use. I am glad you liked the crush, we have had lots of reports of really good efficency after getting grains from us.

Ed

Latest posts

Back