Mill Question: Keep my 2 roller, or upgrade to a 3 roller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

The_Bishop

Reaction score
As the subject states. I currently have a Monster Mill 2 roller. I've been debating the upgrade (Is it an upgrade?) to a 3 roller mill.

Right now I condition grain and mill at .039 for my BIABasket setup. No issues with stuck recirculation, and I regularly get around 88% mash efficiency (as measured via volume of lost wort in the grains. Conversion efficiency is damn near 100%).

I'm wondering if the three roller mill would allow me to crush without conditioning and still retain the same flow through the grainbed.

Anyone have a comparison pic of grain milled at the same gap setting, 2 roller vs. 3 roller?

What size rollers do you have? I have my mm2-2.0 set to .034 And brew on a traditional 1/2bbl 3 vessel eherms brewery. I get 88-90% kettle efficiency and I don't condition my grain. Mill is powered by a 3/4 horse motor at 175 rpm input into the mill.

Having three rollers is basically double crushing your grain, similar to if you crushed your grain on your two roller then passed it through the mill a second time.

If you're already getting good efficiency, why change?

Upgrading to larger diameter rollers would likely be helpful. It is supposed to minimize husk tearing and shredding. The model I bought it is now the "pro" version.

Have you brewed a batch with your mill where you did not condition? What were the results?

From Monster:

We offer four different model mills including our massive MM3-Pro with heat treated rollers that can run a small brewery, all the way down to the tried and true MM-2 for any serious 5-15 gallon all grain brewer.

For me I haven't been able to justify the expense to change from my Corona mill to a roller mill.

I can't see that it would make that much of a difference. If you are experiencing problems with your 2 roller mill, them maybe.

Upgrading to larger diameter rollers would likely be helpful. It is supposed to minimize husk tearing and shredding. The model I bought it is now the "pro" version.

Have you brewed a batch with your mill where you did not condition? What were the results?

You just need to slow your mill down on the 1.5 rollers as the larger rollers turn a bit slower (all gear ratios). That will reduce any husk tearing.

@sandyeggoxj - Actually, I haven't. Had a stuck sparge once in my 'conventional mash tun' days, been conditioning ever since.

@dmcman73 - You may have that backwards, I think.

Having three rollers is basically double crushing your grain, similar to if you crushed your grain on your two roller then passed it through the mill a second time.

If you're already getting good efficiency, why change?

This is what I don't understand; it doesn't sound broken, why fix it?

Is it that you don't want to have to condition the grain?

I have a Barley Crusher; not that I'd recommend it, but I don't condition the grain and it does just fine. I think my gap is closer to .035, and I double crush just on general principles.

That's about the size of it, I was wondering if I swapped out to a 3-roller, would that mean I could omit the conditioning. With 5 gallon batches conditioning isn't a big deal. With larger size batches it's a bit more tedious and labor intensive.

That's about the size of it, I was wondering if I swapped out to a 3-roller, would that mean I could omit the conditioning. With 5 gallon batches conditioning isn't a big deal. With larger size batches it's a bit more tedious and labor intensive.

You said you had a problem once then started conditioning.. Maybe a small adjustment in gap and you would be OK without conditioning.

I would guess the vast majority using 2 roller mills do not condition.

I already stated that I don't think you will see much of a difference.

I use a Corona style mill, I do not condition my grains, I have only had one sparge problem. The fine particles made a layer on top of the grain bed that the wort would not pass through. I poked a few holes in the layer and it drained OK.

Hah! I wish I had the budget for a 3 pro. Decisions, decisions. Wish I could do a side by side comparison in person.

THis is just another 3 roller system. The helical grooves are what interest me with the new 2 roller set up in the link. I am not sold on three rollers. I am sold on larger rollers and slow speeds. If interested give monster a call and discuss with them. I had an interesting convo about the topic. I don't think it is by chance they did the new design with the proven large diameter 2 roller system.

This entire post is opinion and not based on much fact at all ��;)

THis is just another 3 roller system. The helical grooves are what interest me with the new 2 roller set up in the link. I am not sold on three rollers. I am sold on larger rollers and slow speeds. If interested give monster a call and discuss with them. I had an interesting convo about the topic. I don't think it is by chance they did the new design with the proven large diameter 2 roller system.

This entire post is opinion and not based on much fact at all ��;)

Ah yes, I see it now. On the quick look I thought I saw the helical grooves on the pro 3 roller one. I was mistaken.

So, I caved.

Had a gift card and some expendable income, plus a buyer for my MM2.

Need to get a few pounds of base grain to test it out. Gap is currently set at .040.

mill3.jpg

It's going to take a lot of drill to drive that beast! Low speed is your friend, too.

Yes sir! Never one to shy away from buying a brewing toy (ahem - ACCESSORY), I got one of the low speed / high torque Harbor Freight units for this beast.

FYI - I did reach out to Fred @ Monster Brewing Hardware to guide me in my purchase. He was honest, fast and direct in his responses! I was interested in the MM2 ProSL (the slotted roller model) and Fred straight up told me that it was "massive overkill for any homebrewer." Gotta love a guy who gives that kind of guidance!

He actually recommended the MM2 - but me being me I had to go for the larger rollers. :D

Yes sir! Never one to shy away from buying a brewing toy (ahem - ACCESSORY), I got one of the low speed / high torque Harbor Freight units for this beast.

FYI - I did reach out to Fred @ Monster Brewing Hardware to guide me in my purchase. He was honest, fast and direct in his responses! I was interested in the MM2 ProSL (the slotted roller model) and Fred straight up told me that it was "massive overkill for any homebrewer." Gotta love a guy who gives that kind of guidance!

He actually recommended the MM2 - but me being me I had to go for the larger rollers. :D

Exactly the conclusion I came to. I LOVE my pro and your beer will too.

Back