Milky Pilsner

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rik van den berg

https://www.instagram.com/odrbrewing/
Reaction score
42E91BA2-75C4-47AF-88F1-C596EEE2A9A3.jpeg
22B58625-109F-4E7D-AA29-608AE7C93CE5.jpeg
4EAA73FC-1BE3-497A-9222-4DF44BC91F06.jpeg
Racked my first all grain to secondary. This is supposed to be a pilsner. OG 1.048 FG 1.010 ABV 4.99%. Saaz hops which I added late and some even whirlpool (mistake!). All in all it is really mild and I think people will enjoy it on a hot day after it lagers for 4-6 weeks to smooth out some flavors. It is cloudy AF though. Almost milky. Cold crashing didn’t help and it didn’t go away during the diacetyl rest (temp went up to 64). We’ll see what lagering does but I will probably need to use gelatin. I did use Clarity Ferm that was expired. Not sure if that had something to do with it??

My second all grain was an IPA which is almost done fermenting. It already looks clear even in the fermenter! I did use Irish moss in that one, something I didn’t do in the pilsner. I might go back to martial grains an DME for my Pilsners. They always came out great.

Need the recipe, yeast and process since this was your first AG.

You need a good hot break, boil and cold break with Pils. I've never seen one come out like that though. Also no experience with Clarity Ferm. I just use Whirlfloc.

Recipe, process, and the termperature and length of the mash period would help. Also tell us about how well the grains were milled. My first reaction is "Wow, what a great starch haze".

Mine used to look like that before I started to use brewing salts. Could it be a PH issue?

10lbs of Bohemian pilsner Malt
1 packet of Saflager - German Lager Yeast W-34/70 Dry yeast
(Failed) Hop Bill: All Saaz pellets: 1oz 60min, 1 oz 30 min, 1 oz 15 min, 2 oz 30 min whirlpool started at 160F (i meant to do it at 170 but the wort cooled 'too fast'.

mashed at 152 for an hour.

my brew store milled the grains and they looked pretty well milled..

10lbs of Bohemian pilsner Malt
1 packet of Saflager - German Lager Yeast W-34/70 Dry yeast
(Failed) Hop Bill: All Saaz pellets: 1oz 60min, 1 oz 30 min, 1 oz 15 min, 2 oz 30 min whirlpool started at 160F (i meant to do it at 170 but the wort cooled 'too fast'.

mashed at 152 for an hour.

my brew store milled the grains and they looked pretty well milled..

Maybe take a sample and do an iodine test to see if you've got starch?

What's the FG? I hope that pic of the hydo sample isn't an FG sample because it doesn't look like it fermented if that's the case.

I would just keg it with gelatine and let it sit in the kegerator cold for a while. It might drop out. Is it cold in the picture? I wonder if it’s chill haze. Never seen chill haze in a fermentation vessel but who knows.

I would just keg it with gelatine and let it sit in the kegerator cold for a while. It might drop out. Is it cold in the picture? I wonder if it’s chill haze. Never seen chill haze in a fermentation vessel but who knows.
Yeah it is cold. I used Clarity Ferm (to reduce gluten) which should prevent chill haze. But as i said earlier, i did a diacetyl rest where it went up to 64F and the haze was still there..

Back