milk thistle seed in beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ronrad

Reaction score
i drink herbal teas and decided to start drinking milk thistle tea before drinking a beer because it helps prevent liver damage. Since milk thistle grows wild on my farm i hope to harvest my own but after doing research i found that the chemical that is desired is not water soluable and that you need an extract, alcohol soaked seeds so i thought oh buy vodka and make the extract no biggie a little vodka in tea sounds good, then i thought I WONDER IF THE SEEDS WOULD EFFECT THE TASTE OF A BEER RECIPE?

anyone every try putting milk thistle seeds in a batch of beer or have any thoughts on the subject

Everything in beer has been tried. The real question is, "has it been tried by 'you'.":off:

Not everything:)

Psychedelic Saison coming soon:fro:
LSD_LSA.jpg

hbw_summary1.jpg

And this post just took a serious side road. Getting back on track, OP I would try making your tincture and then adding a few drops to a finished beer, something in the style of what you want to brew. This method would approximate what it would taste like if you added it to secondary. Somebody smarter than me can probably figure out the equivalents for say 1ml tincture in a 100ml of beer for a 5gal batch.

There is a very interesting pdf clinical study concerning Marsh Tea, Hops and Bog Myrtle.

https://uu.diva-portal.org/smash/get/diva2:386245/FULLTEXT01.pdf

I am also an herbal alchemist tea drinker and I have tried quite a few different combinations.

I've brewed with Myrica Gale before. I think Milk Thistle (or Bull Thistle) would be a great idea for a Gruit.
The idea is that the alcohol would either denature or possibly amplify the effects of the seeds. I think things written on the Internet are strictly conjecture until you try it for yourself.
I would actually just treat the Milk Thistke like a Hops addition and see if it imparts any flavor.

I wonder if there are any MT recipes in the Sacred Herbal beer book!
http://www.amazon.com/dp/0937381667/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back