Sweet Stout Milk Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildGingerBrewing

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP -005 British Ale
Yeast Starter
1600 ml
Batch Size (Gallons)
5.5 gal
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
3 weeks
Tasting Notes
Creamy, rich, thick, coffee, toffee
Efficiency: 80%
ABV: 6.55%
Calories: 200

8 lb Marris Otter
1 lb De-bittered Black Malt
12 oz Flaked Barley
12 oz Roasted Barley
8 oz Flaked Oats
8 oz Cara-pils
8 oz C-120
8 oz Rice Hulls

1 lb Lactose - added to boil

.75 oz Brewer's Gold - 10.5% AA @ 60 min
.5 oz Fuggles - 4.4% AA @ 30 min

This is the best stout I have ever made. Quite possibly the best beer I've ever made. I based the recipe on 70% efficiency and came out high but it was perfect. I will making this again in a week or two. Due to the high ABV, maybe it should be an Imperial Milk Stout.

That does look like a pretty darn good recipe. I happen to have all of the needed ingredients sans the Brewer's Gold hops. Might be worth a try.

Have you brewed the Left Hand Milk Stout clone from this forum? I've brewed it four times and will continue brewing it. Just wondering how they might compare.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f68/left-hand-milk-stout-clone-139820/

I have not. But Left Hand is what made me create this one. I like that beer, but wanted something "creamier". Let me know how you like it if you brew it.

I like Northern Brewer and would not have an issue sub ing. Just try to keep the IBU's close and it shouldnt make a huge difference. There isnt that many hops in this beer, afterall.

I like the low hop attitude of the recipe is why I decided to choose it, besides the fact it appears to be creamer than Left hand clone. Mash at 148-150? Lactose at the end maybe 15? Had stuck mash on last considering steeping oats by themselves and adding liquid back to boil. Thoughts?

I like the low hop attitude of the recipe is why I decided to choose it, besides the fact it appears to be creamer than Left hand clone. Mash at 148-150? Lactose at the end maybe 15? Had stuck mash on last considering steeping oats by themselves and adding liquid back to boil. Thoughts?

I like a higher mash for dark beers. Cant remember off the top of my head and am not near a computer, but 156 i think is my target. I add the lactose at the beginning of the boil. Enjoy!

I always add lactose with 10 minutes left in the boil.

I was going to brew this soon, but I don't have any de-bittered black malt. Not sure if I'm going to be ordering any grain any time soon, either.

I brewed this today. OG 1066. Will pitch tonight probably. Made the starter on Saturday.

4 lb Maris Otter
8 oz de bittered black malt
6 oz flaked barley
6 oz roasted barley
4 oz flaked oats
4 oz cara pils
4 oz crystal 120
.5 lb Lactose (2 min)
11 g (.375 oz) Brewer's Gold (60 min)
7 g (.25 oz) Fuggles (30 min)
WYeast 1335 British Ale Yeast II

I tapped the keg last night and ended up drinking four pints of this tasty stout. Great recipe for sure! Very roasty, rich, and coffee like flavor. SWMBO liked it a lot as well. She said she likes it better than the Left Hand Milk Stout clone recipe from HBT which I have brewed at least four times. She asked me which type of coffee I added to it... :) Anyway, thanks for a great recipe. It's definitely worth brewing again. :mug:

I tapped the keg last night and ended up drinking four pints of this tasty stout. Great recipe for sure! Very roasty, rich, and coffee like flavor. SWMBO liked it a lot as well. She said she likes it better than the Left Hand Milk Stout clone recipe from HBT which I have brewed at least four times. She asked me which type of coffee I added to it... :) Anyway, thanks for a great recipe. It's definitely worth brewing again. :mug:
Thanks! Really glad everyone likes this one so much. I brewed it a few weeks ago and am aging it for the Sam Adams Longshot competition. Hope they like it as much as everyone here does!

Ginger and I constantly trade brews and while I haven't brewed it, he did send a couple of bottles my way this last time. This is a damn fine stout and I asked him to send more. :tank: I'll probably brew his recipe this fall.

Efficiency: 80%
ABV: 6.55%
Calories: 200

8 lb Marris Otter
1 lb De-bittered Black Malt
12 oz Flaked Barley
12 oz Roasted Barley
8 oz Flaked Oats
8 oz Cara-pils
8 oz C-120
8 oz Rice Hulls

1 lb Lactose - added to boil

.75 oz Brewer's Gold - 10.5% AA @ 60 min
.5 oz Fuggles - 4.4% AA @ 30 min

This is the best stout I have ever made. Quite possibly the best beer I've ever made. I based the recipe on 70% efficiency and came out high but it was perfect. I will making this again in a week or two. Due to the high ABV, maybe it should be an Imperial Milk Stout.

Thoughts on making an imperial version of this? Just add more MO?

I've never made an imperial stout. Sounds interesting. At first glance, I would say up all of the grains, keeping the percentages the same, or you would change the flavor. Right?

I would start off by just upping the MO. That's how I make some of my IPA's into IIPA's. You want to keep the IBU/Gravity ratio about the same, so you need to up the hops in step with the gravity.

I've never made an imperial stout. Sounds interesting. At first glance, I would say up all of the grains, keeping the percentages the same, or you would change the flavor. Right?

Yeah, seems logical to me. However, the research I've done on imperial recipes on this forum just seem to raise the main base malt and keep the other grains the same. I was trying to get some more opinions and find out if anyone had experience in the imperial area. It'll probably be later in the summer before I get around to an imperial version, but I do want to try one.

I vote to double the base malt, up the hop additions to an ouce each and up the c120 to a full #, or mash higher. Balance the sweet and the hops. My .02, but I'm still a rookie.
But, I've never made a beer under 7% and have made several over 10...

Thanks SnakeRidge and Jwin for the suggestions! That's what I was leaning towards doing judging from what little research I've done on imperial recipes thus far. I'll plug some numbers into Beersmith at some point and see what I come up with. Thanks, again.

I'm planning on brewing this during July 4th weekend. What temperature is everyone fermenting their wort? 65F? Have anyone ferment longer than 3 weeks? Will it help the beer by fermenting longer? How about secondary fermentation?

I'm planning on soak this with some Madagascar vanilla bean. Any suggestions?

I ferment around 68*. I have left it for several weeks in primary with no problems. I have never moved this beer to secondary. Even with the vanilla bean, I would do it in primary.

I ferment around 68*. I have left it for several weeks in primary with no problems. I have never moved this beer to secondary. Even with the vanilla bean, I would do it in primary.

Thanks for the reply! I thinking of adding whole vanilla beans and ferment it for a month then rack to secondary where I'll add bourbon barrel cubes and let it sit in secondary until I get the right amount of bourbon flavor. For reference I'm hoping it will be similar to 4Hands Madagascar. :mug:

I worked up an imperial version of this recipe in Beersmith, but it's at home and I don't have access to it. The initial version just raised the MO and the hop amounts. Not sure if I'll tweak it any more or not. I'll post it up when I get a chance if any one cares for it. I think I'll call it Sweet Wasted Soul......

I worked up an imperial version of this recipe in Beersmith, but it's at home and I don't have access to it. The initial version just raised the MO and the hop amounts. Not sure if I'll tweak it any more or not. I'll post it up when I get a chance if any one cares for it. I think I'll call it Sweet Wasted Soul......

I'll be interested in it. The place I got my ingredients from only have 10lbs bag of MO so I will be scalling everything up by 25%, for hops I'm rounding everything up to 1oz each. I will report back later, hope it turns out good! :mug:

I'd like to see a side-by-side comparison. I would be interested in making it an Imperial, but don't want to lose the greatness that is this beer, hence my suggestion of upping all grains and hops.

Milk Stout - 2.5 gallon batch

8 lb Maris Otter
8 oz de bittered black malt
6 oz flaked barley
6 oz roasted barley
4 oz flaked oats
4 oz cara pils
4 oz crystal 120
.5 lb Lactose (5 min)
17 g (.60 oz) Brewer's Gold (60 min) 19.7 IBUs
14 g (.50 oz) Fuggles (30 min) 6.7 IBUs
Expected OG - 1.112
Expected IBUs - 26.4
Estimated ABV - 11.4%
Total Efficiency - 72%

This just raises the base malt and hops. IBUs are two points higher than the original version. No special changes to the recipe, obviously. Just a shot at getting an imperial version. And this is not to bastardize the original version because it's great. I just wanted to take a stab at something imperial, so I chose this recipe to start with. Not sure when I might brew this, but my keg of the original is about to kick, which makes me sad that I don't have another in line.
Thoughts? Recommendations? Revisions?

Thanks for the reply! I thinking of adding whole vanilla beans and ferment it for a month then rack to secondary where I'll add bourbon barrel cubes and let it sit in secondary until I get the right amount of bourbon flavor. For reference I'm hoping it will be similar to 4Hands Madagascar. :mug:

careful with the oak cubes, they can overpower if you use to much/leave in to long.
soak them in vodka for a couple days, then discard the vodka, in hopes that it takes some of the astringency with it. then ad the cubes.
if you are adding vanilla and bourbon, ive had great success soaking my split vanilla beans in makers for a month or so before hand. you can control the amount a lot better, and if u r kegging, even more so. just add the vanilla bourbon at bottling/kegging. 2-3oz goes a long way.

careful with the oak cubes, they can overpower if you use to much/leave in to long.
soak them in vodka for a couple days, then discard the vodka, in hopes that it takes some of the astringency with it. then ad the cubes.
if you are adding vanilla and bourbon, ive had great success soaking my split vanilla beans in makers for a month or so before hand. you can control the amount a lot better, and if u r kegging, even more so. just add the vanilla bourbon at bottling/kegging. 2-3oz goes a long way.

I was thinking of soaking the 2-3 oz cubes in bourbon(Jim Beam) for a week then add it to the wort after fermentation. I'll check on it every week to see when the flavor is just right for me. As for vanilla beans, I was planning on boiling it for a couple minutes then adding them to the wort. Haven't decide if I will add them before or after fermentation.

Making 10 gallons of this recipe right now. Going to age half with vanilla bean and half on 3lbs of toasted coconut. And then maybe blend a bit of it if they both turn out good.

Brewed this yeasterday. Everything look and smells really good so far. Mash temp was off by 1.5 degrees (157.5), OG is 1.0785 it's a little higher because I scaled everything up and added a good amount of chocolate I had laying around. I also soaked 4 vanilla beans in Maker's Mark to add to the wort after it is done fermentation in approx 1 month. I will report back once I have the finish product. Thanks for the awesome receipe!

Gently shake the makers every couple of days.
You split the beans, right?
Enjoy!
Let's us know how the chocolate vanilla and bourbon meshes

Back