Milk stout - oily mouthfeel aftertaste ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmorden

Reaction score
Just popped the cap on my first bottle of chocolate milk stout. I noticed a bit of an oily aftertaste associated with the beer. More specifically, I noticed the oily feel on the roof of my mouth. Is this characteristic of this type of beer or did I make a wrong turn while brewing and this is what diacetyls taste like?

It was in the primary for about 2 weeks, then the secondary for about 3 weeks. It's only been bottle conditioning for a week ( premature to open, i know)

I tasted between primary and secondary and then before bottling and it tasted pretty normal( hard to say what normal is as this is my first milk stout or stout for that matter)

A few strange things to note about this brew: I pitched yeast again into the secondary as my FG was higher than expected and I also added frozen cherries to last five minutes of the boil for flavor.

I noticed a small ring on the wall in the primary fermenter that lead me to believe I could have cleaned the carbon better, which is why I'm leaning towards diacetyl

Just a thought did you rack onto cocoa nibs in the secondary? When I did that with a chocolate porter, it developed a ring in the carboy I think due to fat from the nibs.

I added cocoa powder to the end of the boil as well.... Maybe a similar effect?

This is from the site:

Cocoa Powder Nutrition Information | LIVESTRONG.COM

Fats in Cocoa Powder

"Cocoa powder contains 12 grams of total fat in one cup, 7 grams of which are saturated fat, 4 grams are mono-unsaturated fat, and a remaining fraction are poly-unsaturated fat."

Perhaps someone with more knowledge can help us understand if the cocoa powder may have caused this effect and if it will fade with time.

Tried my chocolate Porter last night. Definite fat presence in beer from the nibs. I was advised to briefly microwave them in water to sanitize. I wonder if boiling the cocoa powder liberated some fat into your wort. Next time I'll try sanitize the nibs in high proof vodka. Best of luck.

I also made a chocolate milk stout a while back and it had a good flavor but a dry/ bitter aftertaste that wasnt very pleasant. I was thinking diacetly or because I bottled waaaaaay to early. Any thoughts?

Back