Milk Stout kit OG wayyyyyy overshot

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pittbrewing

Reaction score
Hi all. I brewed a NB chocolate milk stout today. It was an extract kit with specialty grains (.25 extra dark crystal and .75 pale chocolate) I wanted to beef it up a bit, so I purchased 1 pound of DME at my LHBS. I thought this would bump the OG up from 1.051 to 1.061. After steeping (which I did squeeze lightly), I added the pound of DME and brought to a boil, following the hop schedule. I added the 6 pounds of dark malt extract and 1 pound of lactose at 15 minutes left in the boil. I took a sample and threw it in the fridge to cool quickly and it is reading a whopping 1.090! I am very confused. I figured the pound of DME would give me about 8-10 points. Is my hydrometer wrong?

Was your final volume in line with the recipe? Did you do a partial volume boil? Often when you top off with water your wort will stratify. This means you can get wacky readings unless your wort is well mixed. The yeast won't mind and will figure things out if this is the case.

Actually now that I think about it, I took my sample straight from the kettle before it was cooled and mixed to full volume in my carboy.... :eek::eek::eek: .

I added another gallon and a half to bring it up to ~5.2 gallons. If my calculations are correct, this puts me at 1.60? :ban:

Back