Milk Stout Critique

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staylow

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Planning to do a milk stout in the near future, as per request of several friends, not to mention I love 'em too. After a bit of research, and playing around in Beersmith, this is what I've got and was hoping to get some feedback.

5.5 lbs Maris Otter - 65%
1 lb flaked wheat - 10%
1 lb black roasted barley - 10%
.5 lb us chocolate malt - 5%
.5 lb dark munich - 5%
.5 lb toasted malt - 5%
1 lb lactose, late addition

.5 oz Magnum - first wort, 60 min
1 oz EKG - 15 min

US-05

Mash at 150, 90 minutes, batch sparge

Efficiency 75%
OG 1.050
FG 1.015
IBU 37.6
SRM 39.7

Maris Otter is always my base, unless I'm looking to brew a proper American or Scottish ale, in which case I'd use 2 row or Golden Promise, respectively. The wheat is there for head retention. High percentages of roasted barley and lactose to create a thick, rich tasting brew. I added the chocolate, dark munich and home toasted malt in hopes that it adds a bit of malt complexity and richness.

I guess my question is - do I have too much going on in the grain bill, or am I right in thinking the chocolate, munich and toasted malts will add the malt richness and complexity like I'm looking for? Also, do either the amounts of roasted malt and/or lactose seem excessive, or do you think they'll help balance one another out?

Open to any and all suggestions. I've formulated and brewed 12 AG batches now, and have been unhappy with 75% of them. I'm still learning of course, but I feel I'm getting better.

Is this a 5 gallon batch? Why are you mashing for 90 min? I personally like the recipe and it looks good perhaps a slight adjustment though. To me, keep the percentages of those dark grains in check and you'll be okay. It just looks like a small amount of base grain for 5 gallons to me. Maybe drop the black barley down to .75 lbs. it may be slightly high with the rest and the chocolate down to .25.

Thanks for the reply. Yeah, 5 gallons finished. 5.5 into fermenter. 90 minute mash has become kind of a standard, especially at lower temps to ensure complete conversion. Does that seem unnecessary? My first few batches were 60 minute mashes. I seem to be hitting closer to my intended gravity since I've been doing 90, but that could also be due to a number of other adjustments I've made in my process, I suppose.

Latest posts

Back