Milk Cooler for Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackcows

Reaction score
Everytime I visit the kids school and I see the milk cooler in the lunch room I always wonder how well they may work as a fermentation chamber? I would assume they have industrial motors, compresors, etc...in other words a bit more heavy duty than a home fridge or freezer. Many are stainless and look like they are easy to clean. They have wheels which would make them easy to move. The way they open would make it easy to load and unload. Here is an example of what I am talking about:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BEVERAGE-AI...al_Refrigerators_Freezers&hash=item5895736778

Think it would work?

Buying used refrigeration equipment can be really risky. About a year ago I bought a big stainless restaurant-style fridge from a community association (should have been a trustworthy vendor), but only because my brewing buddy is a refrigeration pro that will fix my stuff for nothing. Sure enough, the thing was basically out of refrigerant. It's got a slow leak somewhere; began having trouble with it again earlier this summer and had to recharge the gas. Everyone will say "Oh, we'll plug it in for you and show you that it cools." But there's more to it than that--it may have enough gas psi to get cold, but not enough to keep the condenser from freezing up once it's under some load. Now, you might buy something used that's works flawlessly and gives you year after year of reliable performance. But for every time that happens, there will be 20 times the thing is a piece of junk.

Whether the cooler you are looking at has an "industrial" compressor will depend on the make. My other big cooler is a Coldstream freezer (temp control keeps it functioning as a fridge) with a compressor nearly the size of a WWII bomber engine. Paid $150 (again, knowing service would be free), it holds pressure well, and will probably run as long as I'm brewing.

Now, buying a used chest freezer for dirt cheap off Craigslist or whatever--different can of worms. Residential use, usually really really cheap, might get years of use out of it for almost nothing. I wouldn't hesitate to do it.

Overall, if you have the space then an industrial fridge is a really nice thing to have, but you have to try to find one from a reputable source. Around here the Pepsi distributor frequently sells used coolers. Or find a place that retails or leases them and see if they have something decent. In other words, the more sure you are about the trustworthiness of the vendor, the more likely you are to get something that will not give you headaches down the road.

Good luck!

Thanks so much.....sounds like buying a new household model may actually make more sence.

Back