Milk Bottles? For Racking? For Fermenting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BobTrempe

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
We have a Whole Foods Market near by and I usually get my milk from the store in 64oz glass bottles.
Has anyone ever tried racking beer or cider in these? The opening is just the right size for a standard rubber bung. I was also thinking they might be good for some test batch fermenting as I can stick a rubber bung with an airlock in there as well.
Am I completely nuts, or have I stumbled onto a use for my $2.50 per bottle deposit?
Thanks,
Bob

Sounds reasonable to me - in fact it sounds like an excellent way to do some dry hopping to familiarize ones hop sense.

I've been considering different methods of doing this myself. I've brewed a fair handful of recipes and would really like to get more in to designing my own brews, problem is that I'm not very good at identifying hop characteristics and such just yet.

no different than using a growler really. Except it is clear glass I presume. Which would be helpful to see what is going on in there. I use growlers for starters sometimes and cannot see the progress too well.

Glass is glass. Go for it.

I'd look around for gallon sized ones... I hear you can get apple juice in gallon size glass bottles. Use 6 gallons of the juice immediately for Apfelwein/Cyser, No deposit, no worries about lacto infection

sirsloop said:
I'd look around for gallon sized ones... I hear you can get apple juice in gallon size glass bottles. Use 6 gallons of the juice immediately for Apfelwein/Cyser, No deposit, no worries about lacto infection

Those glass apple juice jugs work great too. Remove some juice, add some honey and yeast and nutrient, stuff an airlock in... Cyser.

However I strongly disagree that there is a chance of lacto infection if you wash and sanitize the bottles. That is why glass is an ideal fermenter. It is cleanable, and non-reactive. Sure, if you did not wash it there would be some nastiness, but who is going to do that? :drunk:

zero said:
Those glass apple juice jugs work great too. Remove some juice, add some honey and yeast and nutrient, stuff an airlock in... Cyser.

However I strongly disagree that there is a chance of lacto infection if you wash and sanitize the bottles. That is why glass is an ideal fermenter. It is cleanable, and non-reactive. Sure, if you did not wash it there would be some nastiness, but who is going to do that? :drunk:

lol... IDK... but for some reason if you did not wash it well enough thats what you'll end up with.

Well, I guess it's time to get some stoppers and get to work!
Thanks for the comments everyone.
Bob

Back