Quantcast

Military Movers and broken beer dreams

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Donthoseme

Reaction score
So i know there are a lot of military brewers out there but this might also apply to others as well. When i did my most recent move from Boston to Anchorage several things got broken. Here is my story.

2X two way home made CO2 manafolds broken
1X CO2 regulator DESTROYED
1X stout handle gears lost
1X tap handle (broken)
3X metal part that tap handle attaches to BENT BADLY (this is brass!)
Numerous scuffs and scrapes on my kegorator

When i was opening the big wooden box to get my stuff out i nocied they left the tap handles on the tower. Which wouldn't have been a problem if they didnt' put a LOVE SEAT on top of it!! DAMN IT!!!

It wasn't all a loss though. Due to the fact that i got reimburst i was able to buy a new 4 way CO2- manifold
buy a duel regularor (only to realize they were slave regulators and i had to ask the wife for an extra 70 to buy the main regulator anyway!!! WHOOPS she was not happy)
got a new tap handle no big deal
had to hammer out the dents from the brass rods the best i could
still no stout handle as i didn't realize it wasn't there till after my deadline to file the claim.

I made the best out of a bad situation and i guess it could have been worse. But I hope this doesn't happen every 3 years when i have to move!

k1v1116

Reaction score
Glad to hear that you didnt get completely ****ed in the end. I think the problem may have been you didn't offer the movers a few tastes from the kegerator before they moved it, or maybe you offered them too many tastes.

double_e5

Reaction score
If you can move yourself. Sometimes you can make a buck or two if you do. If you don't, expect the worst. I used TMO (military movers) 3 times while I was in the service and twice I had to file a claim. Either they break sh!t or stuff comes up "missing". Its funny though how only the nice stuff comes up "missing".

ewbish

Reaction score
Yeah, screwed no matter what. During the dozen or so PCS's during my career, it came down to a choice of evils. Either let the Army move you, and have stuff stolen and broken, or do a DITY move.......and break your back, get stuck with nowhere to put your stuff, and moving it multiple times because of housing and storage issues. You lose no matter what. I ended up doing a split.....hauling my most valuable items myself, and letting the military move everything else.

If I had to do it all over again.........as a private I would have bought a used fifth wheel and diesel truck. A 30 foot fiver is bigger than many of the apartments my wife and kids and I lived in, we'd never have had to pack or unpack a dang thing.........and PCS's would have been a cinch, as well as always having housing and never being stuck in crap. When I went to GE, I'd have just rented storage for it, and left everything in it.