Mild sedative effect my arse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pbowler

Reaction score
soo I can't remember what the sedative chemical in HomeBrew is or why it's there and not in commercial beer, but I take exception to the idea that it's a mild sedative.

EVERY time I have more than two of my Beers I end up asleep on the couch.

it's not the alcohol either, my Califonia Pilsner is only 3.9% abv

You can't believe everything you read about hops: "Hops tea is recommended for conditions of nervous diarrhea, insomnia, and restlessness. It can also help to stimulate appetite, dispel flatulence:D , and relieve intestinal cramps."

Perhaps we should be talking about size here. I mean, if each "beer" was a 5 gallon corny, I'd say stick a fork in me... I'm done.

I've had some rare Belgian strong ale on tap once that actually had natural sedatives in the recipe---and believe me, that stuff will put you down.

But as for homebrew, methinks Todd has it right. I've never ever noticed any kind of increased drowsiness from homebrews.

I've got an idea: do like I did, and brew up a choco-espresso imperial stout. That madness has 12 cups of brewed drip coffee added to the primary. It's still aging in secondary right now, but you can believe that when it's ready, it'll wake yer ass up.

Or just take a couple of Vivarin before imbibing. Either way, I think you're on your own here, cuz I've never had any kind of experience like this, and I don't know of anyone else who has either.

When I drink more than a couple (which is rare), I have to fight through my groggy phase to reach my silly-drunk phase. It's easy to stall out at the "man, I'm tired" stage if I don't have good friends helping me to keep the course.

That's true, if I go out to dinner and have a couple beers then go straight home, that is when I get tired. You have to keep going!

Beer doesn't make me sleepy until I stop drinking it. I do notice that I feel much better in the morning after a few extra home brews than I do with commercial beer

sleepy? It wakes me up and I just want more. Maybe I should cut down on the crack I add as a late addition

pbowler said:
soo I can't remember what the sedative chemical in HomeBrew is or why it's there and not in commercial beer, but I take exception to the idea that it's a mild sedative.

I have the same problem (if you can call it that) The solution is to not sit on the couch.:)

Dennys Fine Consumptibles said:
I think I burst my spleen laughing to hard.

That reminds me, I've alwasy been curious about isomorization of MJ oils. Would that be a 60 minute boil or 6 bong hits?

I think you add it to secondary. Hmmm.....dry hoping with fine BC bud.:ban:

If I have only 1 or 2, and I was already a little tired, then I am out. If I am ok, and get past the 2nd, I am fine!

Another strange beer effect I've noticed. Has anyone else experienced this:

When I drink a couple of beer, and then take a rest, and then continue drinking later on, it seems like the two earlier beers 'primed the pump' and I'm able to drink a lot more without feeling drunk?

Anyone? Anyone?

Orpheus said:
Another strange beer effect I've noticed. Has anyone else experienced this:

When I drink a couple of beer, and then take a rest, and then continue drinking later on, it seems like the two earlier beers 'primed the pump' and I'm able to drink a lot more without feeling drunk?

Anyone? Anyone?

Right on that. I will mow, and have a couple on the tractor, then do a bunch of work after, and not have any. When I finish and get back to the fridge, I am ready to go.

If I am not doing anything after having a couple and stopping, then I am dead, as earlier stated.

I can drink 4 or 5 beers at lunch and get a splitting headache 3 or 4 hours later.

I think it is my body asking WTF? What happened to the beer?

Then I can drink 1 beer and my headache goes away and I am good to go for the night. I can drink as many as I want and still cope.

pbowler said:

A good friend of mine, whos dad homebrews says he has the same effect. I honestly dont think that I have noticed anything like that though.

- magno

Truble said:
If I have only 1 or 2, and I was already a little tired, then I am out. If I am ok, and get past the 2nd, I am fine!

Truble - I'm with you there. - I bottle in quarts. I can drink one of my quarts and if I don't have some type of activity, its nappy time. However, if I get another quart into me then I'm like the energizer bunny.

I usually find this to happen later in the day. Usually just before dinner. I could have this problem after work even w/o drinking. Usually when the SWMBO is out of town and I'm sitting in front of the tube and I don't feel like cooking.

Back