might have a problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JakeD1

Reaction score
I started my first homebrew last night. Everything was going good and it was fermenting fine, i noticed the temp was around 80 and i wanted to cool it off. I didn't use very much ice just mainly water in a container that came up about 4 inches from the bottom of my fermenter. I noticed that no more bubbles were coming from the air-lock. I know that an air-lock is not a very good indicator and that it is just a cheap piece of plastic. Could I have cooled it too fast? If i did will it correct itself? Thanks!

Relax, its fine! Whats the temp of the water bath your fermenter is in?

Keep it around 68 if you can, if not then just forget about it for 3 weeks until its time to bottle. Welcome to the club, drinking the beer you made is one of the best things in life.

i'm not sure, i just have one of those stick on thermometers on the side of my fermenter and my cooking one doesn't go below 80F. The sticker is saying that my temp inside is around 75. It is really hot here and hard to keep cool. If i can't keep the temp cool i just need to let it sit for a few weeks? Thanks for the welcome!

You need to let it sit for a few weeks period, that will give the yeast time to properly do their job. Time is the most important ingredient in great beer, dont try to rush it!

Most importantly dont worry! Add some more ice to your bucket and relax! Great beer is coming soon.

A sudden change in temp can cause the yeast to "pause". They'll pick back up and be off and running soon.

Back