Midwest's Oatmeal Stout kit- anyone tried it?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I Brewed their Oatmeal Stout kit a couple of years ago. If I remember correctly, the flavor was very good, but the body was lacking. Consider upgrading the yeast to a liquid Irish Ale. It'll add that little extra treat for the taste buds.

tastes great, less filling. I brewed some back in september. Taste is good, I thought it was a little thin myself. Got a bronze in the stout category at the ASH oktoberfest in phoenix 37 points overall. I added an ounce of liberty at 30min, not per recipe, or style, but the judges liked it. This was the all grain kit, used 2 packs of US-04 for the yeast

sorry I should have clicked on your link and saw you were looking at the extract kit. definetly plan on doing something with the yeast, I think they just include the 6gm muntons so they can call the package a "kit" the muntons has "stuck fermentation" written all over it. the only extract kit i did from midwest was the powerpack porter, I used the muntons and had huge issues getting it to finish up.

sorry I should have clicked on your link and saw you were looking at the extract kit. definetly plan on doing something with the yeast, I think they just include the 6gm muntons so they can call the package a "kit" the muntons has "stuck fermentation" written all over it. the only extract kit i did from midwest was the powerpack porter, I used the muntons and had huge issues getting it to finish up.

I agree with ditching the muttons yeast. I had the same issues with on a Irish Red kit from Midwest.

Back