Midwest's Honey Steam or california Steam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey BMURDA - saw your post after doing a search. I made the regular MW steam ale and it was great. With my wine cooler fermentation chamber, I'm equipped to make ales but never lagers. So brewing a hybrid is (for now) the closest I can get.

The fermentation lasted a much longer time with lager yeast vs ale. I was able to get my fermentation chamber down to high 50s / low 60s so I think that helped it ferment all the way out. Don't know off the top of my head what the FG was but I hit the recipe numbers.

Ended with a very crisp and quaffable beer. It was so good that I ordered the Honey Steam out of curiosity - brewing that soon so I'll let you know :). I've been reading that the honey shouldn't be more than 10% of the fermentable sugar to avoid a hooch taste, but with Midwest the ratio is 3lbs honey to 6lbs malt. So ... we'll see!

Just finished brewing this, may be my new favorite...I had an extra pound of honey though..It is incredibly clean finishing beer...perfect for spring.

Just tasted Midwest's California Steam (LME) after brewing it in March. I kept the temps down to between 52 and 62, took about 10-12 days for fermentation. It has a very pronounced hop linger at the end that makes it almost like an IPA. Which is surprising since it only uses 1 oz of Northern Brewer. So it's got me scratching my head. I think it greatly benefits from 1-2 weeks refrigeration. But it's a solid recipe and a good spring/summer drinker. OG 1.044, FG 1.012

Back