Midwest ever match prices for kegging kits?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TokyoRoad

Reaction score
Looking at a few of their items it seems they are consistently higher priced than comparable kits from other online retailers. Has anyone gotten them to come down on price vs. their web site advertised prices? Looking for any first hand details. :)

TIA!

If you are an AHA member, you may be able to get a small discount. I am not sure if they still do that, but they used to a few years ago.

Why not just buy from the other places then? If you're looking to support midwest, then pay what the price is. You're not going to do them any favors by giving them business that they don't make money on. Besides, depending on which components are used there will be a price difference, and a retailer that sells a crap load of systems is probably getting a better deal through volume.

They are a bit high on a few things, shipping is not cheap, and they often have many items out of stock. Last time they messed up an order of mine they acted like I was trying to steal and asked me to take a picture of the order I recieved. Just buy one somewhere else....they aren't worth the extra $$.

When you have a gift certificate it somewhat limits your ability to go elsewhere. ;)

Are all their regulators junk? What is wrong with them? It appears they have several varieties.

I bought my keg kit from Midwest (BrewLogic single keg kit) and I thought it was a pretty nice set-up for what they asked price wise. Im sure the regulator is not the highest quality regulator, but works quite well and I have had no difficulty with it since I recieved it about 6 months ago.

I have also done a bit of business with Midwest. I have only ever had 1 problem with them (my current order). They had some difficulty getting it shipped, so it is a week late. They refunded the shipping ($15.00 worth). Not too bad I figured, so I bought another bunch of grains from the local brew store and was still able to brew last weekend. I will continue to buy from them when I can't get it locally.

I got my first kegging kit there. One of the dual regulators failed in the first week. They sent a replacement for the whole unit. Before I received the replacement the second regulator failed. The replacements lasted about 6 months. I have gotten one to work again but when it fails the pressure just goes up slowly until the pressure valve blows and I end up with a empty CO2 tank. I don't even want to use it.

Bummer. I just got the single regulator setup. Had good luck with it so far, but we will see.

When you have a gift certificate it somewhat limits your ability to go elsewhere. ;)

Are all their regulators junk? What is wrong with them? It appears they have several varieties.

I was in the same boat as you. I actually asked for gift cards from there and then really regreted it. I had a whole buch of certificates and very little equiptment was in stock. Oh well, live and learn.

I do almost all my non-lhbs ordering through Midwest. They're always helpful on the phone and through the web contact form. Their shipping seems expensive for small items but since they charge what FedEx charges you get a much better deal the larger your order. In my example I got charged $12 shipping for a handful of keg bits but $23 for around 50# of misc grain for 2 upcoming brew days. Give them a chance, they're good people IMHO.

I got my first kegging kit there. One of the dual regulators failed in the first week. They sent a replacement for the whole unit. Before I received the replacement the second regulator failed. The replacements lasted about 6 months. I have gotten one to work again but when it fails the pressure just goes up slowly until the pressure valve blows and I end up with a empty CO2 tank. I don't even want to use it.

Which regulator did you have that failed?

Back