Midwest Brewing Pumpkin Ale Kit Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HopHead73

Brewmaster at Jbyrd Brewing, Hophead
Reaction score
So I'm doing my first Pumpkin ale for Thanksgiving and after reading many reviews I decided to go with the Midwest Brewing Pumpkin Ale kit.
I just have a few questions if anyone can help me with.

I plan on using canned pumpkin (3 cans - 90oz.). Any suggestion of using just plain canned pumpkin or using Libby's spiced canned pumpkin?
I've read some people say you should bake the pumpkin at 400 degrees to caramelize the sugars, is this necessary for canned pumpkin?
I was also going to use muslin bags to put the pumpkin in when I steep it to help deal with the trub.

The Kit says to add the Pumpkin with 5mins left of the boil.
I plan however on steeping the pumpkin with my grains for 60mins @155degrees instead. Should I still add some more pumpkin at the end of the boil or is steeping it fine?

The kit also comes with 1/2tbsp of Nutmeg and 1/2tbsp of Cinnamon to add at the last 5mins of the boil. I plan on doubling the amount of each 1tbsp each and adding 1 tbsp of cloves.
Is this still the best time to add the spices?
I've also read some people say to add more spices right before bottling by boiling it in water, letting it cool and then adding to the bottling bucket with the priming sugar. Anyone have any suggestions on this? If it is a good idea how much more would you use?

Any other suggestions to really make this a great pumpkin ale?

Thanks guys!

I plan on using canned pumpkin (3 cans - 90oz.). Any suggestion of using just plain canned pumpkin or using Libby's spiced canned pumpkin?

Whoa, lot of questions there :) I would go with the 100% pure Libby's, without the spices just so you can control the balance fully. Yes, bake it. I spread mine out into a baking pan, about 1/2" or so thick, I also mixed in 8oz of brown sugar, and baked it at 350 for 1 hour.

The Kit says to add the Pumpkin with 5mins left of the boil.
I plan however on steeping the pumpkin with my grains for 60mins @155degrees instead. Should I still add some more pumpkin at the end of the boil or is steeping it fine?

Not sure on this one as I can't say if having all that pumpkin in will affect the steep somehow. Maybe someone more experienced can answer this. I put my pumpkin in the boil for 30 minutes.

The kit also comes with 1/2tbsp of Nutmeg and 1/2tbsp of Cinnamon to add at the last 5mins of the boil. I plan on doubling the amount of each 1tbsp each and adding 1 tbsp of cloves.
Is this still the best time to add the spices?

I would ease back a bit on the cloves. I was originally going to do a 1:1 ratio for each spice until someone here mentioned how prominent cloves are. he was right. I did a tester before and found the cloves very powerful. So I eased back from 1tsp to 1/2tsp and upped my other spices a pinch. I boiled mine for only 1 minute but you'll be fine with the 5 minute instruction. If you want to add more at bottling time you can do the boil method or you can simply add the spices into a small amount of vodka and let it sit 10 minutes or so, that will also disinfect the spices.[/QUOTE]

Rev.

Midwest supplies kit - here was my variation

2 cans of Libby's spiced pumpkin (last 10 min of boil)
Spices 1 tsp cloves, cinnamon, and nutmeg (last 5 min of boil)
2 weeks in primary
2 weeks in secondary
At bottling time ( although I keg, this needs to bottle condition ) I will add 1 TBSP of vanilla extract with my priming sugar and bottle for at least 2 weeks

I taste tested from primary to secondary and I cannot wait to taste this finished product

Back