Midwest AG Porter Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edb23

Reaction score
so i posted this in the AG section but no one responded, thought i'd have better luck over here. Anyone tried this kit before? it's got twelve ounces of black malt which seems like a lot to me, but has good reviews on the website. anyone brewed it recently?

I have never tried this beer before, but what do you mean by black malt? Roast, chocolate, black patent, de bittered? A mix between 2 of them?

Yeah it probably is black patent. They sell this kit because it has been proven to be good. I would go ahead and just brew it up how they send it to you. What is the expected ABV? Does it have any crystal malt?

This is their regular Porter? No crystal, so it kind of reminds me of a dry stout recipe in that regard (but w/ black patent instead of roasted/flaked barley. Of the positive reviews, it looks like two modified the recipe. Still, I can see brewing it as is.

Ingredients: 9 lbs. Domestic 2-Row barley, 8 oz. Carapils, 12 oz. Black Malt, 2 oz. of hops, priming sugar, and yeast.

I'm thinking i'm gonna brew it and do the whole whiskey/oak thing, was just concerned about it tasting like burnt toast with all the black patent.

Back