Microbrewery/Brewpub and Homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Marko1983

Reaction score
I'm just curious, anybody who has opened their own microbrewery or brewpub...or anyone who knows the answer...what are the biggest differences in brewing procedures once you move from small batches to larger, consistant batches? I'm mostly interested in the processes that help produce a consistant brew.

I think the main difference is that it become a job instead of a hobby. But besides that there are grater steps to ensure sanitation as the expense is too high if you ruin a batch. Also you can't just pick a bucket up and pour the sparge water into the mash tun, everything needs to be operated by pump. You need pretty expensive equipment like glycol jacketed fermentors to control temps and lager, and every single detail must be documented in order to ensure repeat-ability so your customers can get the same pint every time they visit.

Other than that it's the same overall process, just a lot bigger!

Cool, thanks for the reply. It's something I'm becoming more interested in as I brew more delicious beer.

Back