Michigan Hop Harvest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drayman86

Reaction score
watch

DSC00017.jpg

That's great! My first year was very small. I only got one plant to flower, and the yield was very small, so I don't think I can actually use them, but if that is a nice second year crop then I can't wait for next year!

Here's my hops, about 7 days post harvest. Lupilin glands are visible about half-way down the cone, and at the "greener" end.

DSC00004.jpg

Another look at the Lupilin glands on my hops. When using a magnifying loop during handling, I noticed several of the glands were transferred to my fingers during handling. Crushing the glands produced a strong grapefuit/citrus odor.

DSC00013.jpg

Looks good....i wouldn't let your dog get that close to hops cuz that could be a tragic. How much did it all weigh when you were done?

Thanks for the compliments, and the dog warning. MY dog has no interest in hops, i.e. no-like-ee odor, etc. Know it is toxic to dogs....thanks again.

SHOULD have taken pret-drying weight. Will provide final weight.

drayman86

Just a tad over twelve ounces in one ounce bags. They're either Cascades or Centennials...I forgot which. :D Kind of a citrus odor, so I'm thinking Cascades which is great; I'll use them for flavor/aroma in my IPA's.

DSC00029.jpg

DSC00031.jpg

Does anyone know what kind of hops are "native" or grow wild in the Kalamazoo County Area? I found two different "Caches" this year one near my work in a swamp in comstock, another near my mailbox In the rural parts of the county

Hey there guys I have some huge cones going on and wondering when is the best time to pick/harvest? Also has anyone used a food dehidrator to dry them?
I'm in Grand Rapids and I have some cones up top that are about 3-4 inches and on the lower end I have more blooms that look to be about to bud.

Any info would be great!
Michigan Home brewers RULE!

Please feel free to reply here or send an email [email protected]
thanks again guys and or gals:mug:

Back