Michigan beers to try?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big10Seaner

Reaction score
One of my friends is making a business trip up to Michigan and I was going to have him pick up a few different beers for me. Bell's hopslam is on the list (can't get Bell's here in IL), but I'm having trouble deciding on other beers. Do any of you have any recommendations on other Bell's or other Michigan beers to try?

DragonMead Brewery's products are available in 4 packs at most really good beer stores in the state. Their Final Absolution Belgin Triple is amazing.

Here's a listing of stores in Michigan that carry it....But I've now seen it in some liquor stores with normally lousy selections.

http://www.dragonmead.com/Locations.html

You can also see what other beers they produce...

Founder's Kentucky Bourban aged Stout, Arcadia's Cocoa Loco Triple Chocolate stout, DarkHorses's Crooked Tree IIPA, Michigan Brew Company High Sea's Pale Ale, I should Probably stop cause ill go for hours, But here are a few of my favs.

Founders' "Dirty Bastard" Scotch Ale, "Devil Dancer" Triple IPA, and "Red's Rye" are all awesome.

Bell's "Two Hearted Ale" IPA and "Hopslam"

I'm not a fruit beer guy, but I had Dark Horse Brewing Co.'s Raspberry Ale the other night and that was a good beer. Beer first and fruit a complimentary second.

Ok, one more post then I promise I'll stop.

New Holland Brewing Co.'s High Gravity Series are worth checking out. Expensive, but worth the money. I particularly like the "Dragon's Milk" a barrel aged strong ale.

Man, I'm getting thirsty.....and I've still got 5 1/2 hours to go at work.

Bromley said:
Ok, one more post then I promise I'll stop.

New Holland Brewing Co.'s High Gravity Series are worth checking out. Expensive, but worth the money. I particularly like the "Dragon's Milk" a barrel aged strong ale.

Man, I'm getting thirsty.....and I've still got 5 1/2 hours to go at work.

I had the Dragons Milk Barley Wine at the beer fest, I didnt' care for it I did however like the Arcadia Cereal Killer Barley wine.

RICLARK said:
I had the Dragons Milk Barley Wine at the beer fest, I didnt' care for it I did however like the Arcadia Cereal Killer Barley wine.

I wanted to go, but my daughter's birthday party took priority. How was it? Worth the money.

.....sorry for the thread hijack.

Bromley said:
I wanted to go, but my daughter's birthday party took priority. How was it? Worth the money.

.....sorry for the thread hijack.

Oh it was a blast, they gave us a little six ounce dixie cup to drink out of, Which I was kinda skeptical. However 9 beers in I had a good buzz, Tried like 23 or 25 beers all together before I just couldn't drink anymore. It was really crowded with a lot of people that decided to stop in the middle of the aisle's and conversate but We still had fun.Well worth the cash.

Bell's Two Hearted Ale is a favorite among many. That and the MBC High Seas IPA are my faves.

in addition to whats been listed - Bells Expedition Stout is hands down one of my fav. imperial stouts

You cant go wrong with any of the Dark Horse offerings, Scotty Karate, Black Bier, and the Coffee Dopplebock being some of my favorites. All their beers are just intense.

Back