MFL quick disconnect leaking CO2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fun4stuff

Reaction score
So I went through a 5lbs tank of CO2 in about a week so I knew I must have a leak.

I got a new full tank hooked up and I hear hissing coming from the ball lock MFL quick disconnect. I took it apart and visually nothing looks like anything is wrong with it. I put it back together and if I mess with it I can get it not to hiss, but if I move it slightly or connect/disconnect it then it starts hissing again. So I don't trust it.

It is less than 6 months old. Only used it with 2.5 kegs.

Have you guys had this happen? Do they really wear out this quickly?

The hiss is coming from the center pin area inside.

So I went through a 5lbs tank of CO2 in about a week so I knew I must have a leak.

I got a new full tank hooked up and I hear hissing coming from the ball lock MFL quick disconnect. I took it apart and visually nothing looks like anything is wrong with it. I put it back together and if I mess with it I can get it not to hiss, but if I move it slightly or connect/disconnect it then it starts hissing again. So I don't trust it.

Just curious, did you go through a 5lb tank of CO@ in about a week?

LOL, just messing around re: the triple post.

While I have not personally experienced any problems with the MLF QD's I have, I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they do go bad from time to time. Nothing lasts forever. They're cheap enough that you should just replace it, even if you only suspect that something is wrong. I always keep a good 5-10 extra quick disconnects around (actually I keep an extra 5 or 10 of everything around, lol. Call me anal I guess).

Keg lube and star-san. Use the Star-san to tell where the leak is and use the keg lube to seal it off if you can. Also check the o-rings on the posts, if they are old or cracked that'll be the problem.

Definitely want to use a star-san solution to find the location of the leak. If it is the post on the inside of the ball lock QD, then just replace the whole QD.

Do you have the style of QD that has the washer built in to the end of the threaded post? If not, you need a small washer there.

And are you tightening the MFL connection with a wrench or something? You can't just hand tighten it. You need to tighten it a bit with a wrench. Not a lot, maybe a 1/4 turn or so after you hand tighten it.

Are you using a MFL washer to make a good seal? It would leak if you are not using one. They cost like 50 cents.

TPW100.jpg

Sorry about the triple post.

It leaks from the inside of the qd. I can hear it, saw star san bubbling from there, then stuck entire qd in a glass of water and could see bubbles from there.

There is a washer that goes on the inside around the inside base of the back screw cap. Anyhow, I have a couple other qd's that work fine and they are all put together the same.

I think it's probably broke,I just can't tell why and was disappointed that it didnt last longer. I wanted to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

I'll try adding keg lube, but hard to trust it. The others don't require keg lube.it was a bummer to lose a full tank in just a few days! I had a buddy over and had been talking up the beer I had kegged and then found out tank was empty and we couldn't try it.

The above is why I've been debating getting an adaptor for paintball CO2 cartridges as a backup. I see them on Amazon for <$20 and a decent tank can't be much more than that.

I'm guessing everyone that kegs has had a CO2 tank leak out on them at some point. I know I did. I'd just toss the broken QD and replace it with a new one. It's a good idea to keep an extra on hand just in case.

Brand name QDs (i.e., CMB, raised print) tend to be overall better than any generic. Many places sell cheap (Chinese) knock-offs (without name). I had one of those generics fall apart on me, the locking sleeve came off. You know how it's about impossible to get that sleeve off without actually breaking it, on the good ones that is.

The O-ring on the post makes a seal on the inside of the QD. If there's a slight deformation or burr on that seat, you've got a leak. Always check for leaks!

Back