Mexican Lagers: e.g Corona

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

highgravitybacon

Reaction score
I just wanted to pass this along. I've been trying a lot of different yeasts to see if I can find a Corona style yeast. Something with subtle fruitiness, malty, dry.

The usual recommendation, WLP 940 Mexican Lager, doesn't have the correct flavor profile. It may be the Modelo strain, but it doesn't produce a beer like Corona. It makes beer more like Dos Equis. The beer is good, but far too clean to pass for Corona. I think WLP940 is the Cuauhtémoc Moctezuma strain.

To get a real Corona/Modelo Especial flavor, you will have the best luck with Wyeast 2000. I tried it at 50F and 52F. It has the proper aroma you get from subtle yeast esters and the right crisp quality.

That is all. Carry on.

Have you introduced a healthy amount of light to the beer? Maybe that is the key.

In all seriousness, my wife wants me to make a Corona, and since I dont mind the beer, I agreed. I planned on using Mexi Lager yeast, but have really any more thought into it.

What does the rest of your recipe look like?

Try this:
20% corn meal / corn grits
20% Briess Goldpils Vienna
60% German pilsner malt

o.g.1.042-1.046
fg 1.010

10-12 IBU of Willamette at 60 min
Mash at 149F.
60 minute boil.

You'll need to cook the corn first to gelatinize the starches. That is explained elsewhere on the forum. Look for "cereal mash." The corn flavor from actual grits is much better than flaked. If you use flaked, you'll need probably 30% flakes.

Pitch at 48-50F and use a modified Narziss style fermentation temp where you raise the temp as time goes. End at 62-64F.

Gelatin fine it. Carb to about 2.8-2.9 volumes. It needs to be fizzy.

The Joy Of Homebrewing had a recipe called 'Good Night In Mexico' during which Charlie Papazian sidetracked a little bit and interjected with his advice on how to brew something close to a Corona. He did indeed say that if you wanted that unique flavor that Mexican lagers are famous for, put your bottled beer in full direct sunlight for about 10 to 15 minutes. It causes a photochemical reaction which results in that "clear glass bottle" flavor.

The Joy Of Homebrewing had a recipe called 'Good Night In Mexico' during which Charlie Papazian sidetracked a little bit and interjected with his advice on how to brew something close to a Corona. He did indeed say that if you wanted that unique flavor that Mexican lagers are famous for, put your bottled beer in full direct sunlight for about 10 to 15 minutes. It causes a photochemical reaction which results in that "clear glass bottle" flavor.

Which is just poor advice and frankly embarrassing that it would even go to print.

I just once would like to have a serious discussion about Mexican beers without the typical "bottle skunk piss" comments. Because it hasn't happened in the history of homebrewtalk. There's a lot of subtle things that make Mexican lagers unique, and there's some really awesome Mexican beers. You just need to try them fresh, or from the can.

I know for a fact some of the most popular Mexican beers sold in America are made with corn grits, although I suspect the % of fermentables from corn is closer to 40% than 20%.

Anyways, I agree with both comments about skunking. Clear bottles just give you skunky beer. Might be authentic in many respects, but that doesn't make it good. +1 to fresh cans. No beer should ever be in clear glass.

Back