Mexican Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

J126128

Reaction score
I am going to try a clone recipe for a Mexican lager. The recipe calls for brown rice syrup in the boil. What is the reason for the for this ingredient.

I am going to try a clone recipe for a Mexican lager. The recipe calls for brown rice syrup in the boil. What is the reason for the for this ingredient.
No. There is no reason for brown rice in a Mexican lager. do not trust that recipe.

So you had to substitute an ingredient. Kind of an important distinction.

it’s not going to be the dominant flavor, but definitely not the same thing. That’s like Bud (rice) vs Miller (corn).

i wouldnt really call it a mexican lager, traditionally speaking. But if you liked it, go for it.

So you had to substitute an ingredient. Kind of an important distinction.

it’s not going to be the dominant flavor, but definitely not the same thing. That’s like Bud (rice) vs Miller (corn).

i wouldnt really call it a mexican lager, traditionally speaking. But if you liked it, go for it.
Who are you responding to? Just curious, cause if mine isn't a Mexican Lager, why is that? Genuinely curious.

@jnecessary sorry- got reply mixed up with you an OP.

Mexican breweries use corn. Not rice. Big difference. Like I said, it’s bud vs Miller. You can tell the difference, even if it’s not a huge part of recipe.
if you were a brewery and sold me this calling it Mexican lager I’d be pissed. It would not be what I expected. (I don’t like rice flavor) You’d need to tell folks it’s rice not corn- because that little bit of corn sweetness is what they'd expect to find in a mexican lager.

but to brew for yourself, who cares? Make what you like. It just will taste different vs a traditional/typical/normal Mexican lager.

All that matters is if you liked it and would do it again.

Last edited:
@jnecessary sorry- got reply mixed up with you an OP.

Mexican breweries use corn. Not rice. Big difference. Like I said, it’s bud vs Miller. You can tell the difference, even if it’s not a huge part of recipe.
if you were a brewery and sold me this calling it Mexican lager I’d be pissed. It would not be what I expected. (I don’t like rice flavor) You’d need to tell folks it’s rice not corn- because that little bit of corn sweetness is what they'd expect to find in a mexican lager.

but to brew for yourself, who cares? Make what you like. It just will taste different vs a traditional/typical/normal Mexican lager.

All that matters is if you liked it and would do it again.
Modelo Negra has rice in it. Or at least Modelo says it does. (I was surprised too) I think the others all use corn, unless there's an all-malt Mexican lager that I've missed. I don't really know what really distinguishes a Mexican lager from an American one; maybe the Mexicans use German noble hops? Your last point (brew what you like) is the most important, at least until you start entering competitions.

I bought a few Tacates last week because it came in a quart brown bottle with a crown cap, and I was more interested in the bottles than the beer. But it's better beer than I expected. I don't know what's good about it, I just like it better than Bud or Busch or Miller -- that's why I think it might be better hops even tho' there is hardly any hops in there.

Modelo Negra has rice in it. Or at least Modelo says it does. (I was surprised too) I think the others all use corn, unless there's an all-malt Mexican lager that I've missed. I don't really know what really distinguishes a Mexican lager from an American one; maybe the Mexicans use German noble hops? Your last point (brew what you like) is the most important, at least until you start entering competitions.

I bought a few Tacates last week because it came in a quart brown bottle with a crown cap, and I was more interested in the bottles than the beer. But it's better beer than I expected. I don't know what's good about it, I just like it better than Bud or Busch or Miller -- that's why I think it might be better hops even tho' there is hardly any hops in there.
Well that’s sort of the point in what’s defining Mexican vs American vs German.
they all have-
pilsner malt
noble hops

so what differentiates? Basically it’s yeast character, and adjuncts.

so use American lager (wlp840) and rice and you cloned Bud
use Mexican wlp940 and corn and you got a Mexican lager
use a German yeast like 34/70 and no adjuncts for German lager

with so few ingredients a single substitution can alter the whole profile.

as for negra modelo its a bit of a shock they use rice. Very very unusual in México. And not noticeable at all (IMHO) behind dark malt flavor, so a bit of an odd choice It’d seem.

Back