Mexican Lager WLP940

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vanceromance

Reaction score
I know it looks new but does anyone have any experience with White Labs Platinum Mexican Lager WLP940??

I've made two AHS Mexican Pilsners (orona clones) and love the results but have used WLP 840. and was wondering what differences I could expect by switching to this Mexican Lager yeast.

some people say that you can substitue for the WLP830 they said that the strain is very similar, whitelabs says they only produces that yeast on April and March so i was trying to get some WLP940 but i cant so im thinking to get some WLP830 and see what happens

Since this is the most pertinent thread, and the first in the search despite its age, I'll add my comments about this yeast.

Fantastic. Easy to use, flocculent, no fuss yeast. Not sure why it's not commonly used. I tried a few other lager strains and nothing was quite as simple as this. It had a crisp, clean character, perhaps slightly blunting the hop bitterness compared to WLP830. About 80% attenuation in an all pils malt beer.

Back