Mexican Cerveza

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terry08

Reaction score
You guy's have probably read my posts and know I am a quickie brewer.
Well I just got two kits of Coopers "Mexican Cerveza" There is a commercial type called "Corona" which this is supposed to emulate.

"Corona is a popular "Yuppy" drink but expensive even a few dollars more than "Crown Lager" which is one of the best you can get in Oz. (Not many get mine so they would not know what best really was).

I just had a sobering thought. When I cark it someone will have access to over 200 bottles of the best beer on the planet. Me brag! never.

I would like any comments. I now have committed the next two brews to this type some 60 x 750ml's so I will be drinking it for a while.

I like beer that is at least 2 to 3 months old which means keeping a stock of some 200 x750ml bottles. I brew a batch when my bottles become free. I do not count several dozen stubbies which I use as testers and after mowing the lawn or an excuse like that. I consume 2 x 750ml's / day stubbies do not count and have done so for the past 40 years.

I was hoping for a reply to this. It is a variety that has just been released by Coopers and I was wondering if it did emulate Corona.

I will be trying it in a month as it has just been put in fermentation.

You will probably end up with something better than corona. Yuppies usually drink the commercial version with a wedge of lime (at least in the US) which effectively hides the fact that it isn't that good of a beer. The Coopers kit has been around for a few years at my LHBS and while I haven't made it myself the shops stock of it moves at a reasonable rate. Thats about all I can really tell you though, keep us posted on how it turns out.

Heeeeeey, don't you dare saying Corona isn't that good of a beer.
I'm Mexican and I know what I'm talking about........................it's not that good of a beer, it is a piece of crap beer!!!!!

Seriously, i have no idea why Corona is so popular in the US. Here in Mexico it's popular because is the cheapest sh*t you can find. There are better (not great, just better) beers in Mexico besides Corona. I'll take and Indio or XX Ambar anytime!

I'm Mexican and I know what I'm talking about........................it's not that good of a beer, it is a piece of crap beer!!!!!

Seriously, i have no idea why Corona is so popular in the US. Here in Mexico it's popular because is the cheapest sh*t you can find. There are better (not great, just better) beers in Mexico besides Corona. I'll take and Indio or XX Ambar anytime!

i must disagree...dos equis is a better beer...corona is at best drinkable. And the lime although i had never previously though about it, masks the skunked hop taste....

edit....wow i didint read that last part. I though you were going on about how good it is. I just came back from Mexico....I liked Sol beter by far....

The lime is another US thing. You never see anyone in Mexico with a lime wedge on the bottle.

And yeah, while not being a great beer, Sol is far better than corona. That's my goto beer when I'm out and I know I'm gonna be drinking more than usual, tomorrow being one of those days (business xmas party)!!!!

Corona is one of the worst beers out there. It's only really good on a super hot day when you can chug it down after cutting the grass. It's probably one of my favorite commerical "lawnmower beers" though. It's light, thin, and skunked.

In Mexico, though, it was great in micheladas. I prefer micheladas with negro modela, though.

That would be Negra Modelo, Yooper. Those pesky vowels in Spanish are hard to get straight, aren't they?

I doubt the coopers kit will get very close to a cervesa as the only include a generic ale yeast with those. And with lagers, yeast matter just a tiny bit.
In fact while we are on that subject any "kit" beer that is a lager style I have ever seen does not come with lager yeast, and is way way off. And then I find people who buy kits surely aren't going to lager their ale to attempt to clean it up a bit.

I am a fan of Pacifico on occasion.

Yep! As I typed it, I thought, "oh, **** that's backwards" but I didn't really care enough to fix it. Good beer, though.

Actually, you are both wrong. The adjective "Negro" must be the same (masculine or feminine) as the word it describes "Modelo". Therefore the last leter must be the same.

Actually, you are both wrong. The adjective "Negro" must be the same (masculine or feminine) as the word it describes "Modelo". Therefore the last leter must be the same.

Ah, you'd think so. But that's why it's hard to remember! It's actually "Negra Modelo"- I swear!

I actually am fluent in Spanish, although it doesn't seem that way!

A lot of people say that Corona in Mexico tastes like **** and that Corona in US is better. I guess maybe because US Corona is skunked on purpose and Mexican isnt? In a way its a ****ty Mexican beer that is skunked and has been commercialized as someone previously mentioned a session beer. Corona / Heineken are the main yuppie beers.

The name of the beer is Negra Modelo. That is the name of the beer, so how can I be wrong? We are talking about a proper name here.

And here it is again Negra Modelo from the company who owns the brand.

Ah, you'd think so. But that's why it's hard to remember! It's actually "Negra Modelo"- I swear!

I actually am fluent in Spanish, although it doesn't seem that way!

I am too. That is why I was sure of myself when I posted. I stand corrected though due to the fact it is a proper name...

The name of the beer is Negra Modelo. That is the name of the beer, so how can I be wrong? We are talking about a proper name here.

And here it is again Negra Modelo from the company who owns the brand.

Yeah, already figured that out.... Stop rubbing it in. :D

The lime is another US thing. You never see anyone in Mexico with a lime wedge on the bottle.

Every beer I've ever bought in Mexico had a lime wedged in it - Corona or otherwise. Maybe they only bust out the limes for the gringos. :p

The lime idea was started with the Corona manufacturer. They wanted to cover up the slight skunkiness. Now some bartenders put a lime with every Mexican beer. I have had to send back a Dos Equis Amber that had a lime on it. You don't put lime on a Vienna beer.

Forrest

The lime idea was started with the Corona manufacturer. They wanted to cover up the slight skunkiness. Now some bartenders put a lime with every Mexican beer. I have had to send back a Dos Equis Amber that had a lime on it. You don't put lime on a Vienna beer.

Forrest

If there trying to cover the taste why is it that they intentionally skunk the beer? that always seemed odd to me.

negra modelo is my mexican beer of choice. and yes i hate when they put lime wedges in my beer i have refused them many times and ask for them with no lime. i do like the corona bottles though for cider

Brewing Corona at home just wouldn't be the same. I've said it before and I'll say it again. It's just not Corona unless it makes you pee out your butt the next day.

If there trying to cover the taste why is it that they intentionally skunk the beer? that always seemed odd to me.

Any beer in a clear bottle is going to have some skunkiness to it. They didn't intentionally skunk the beer. They intentionally put the beer in clear bottles which then skunked the beer.

Yeah! in the temperatures I brew and condition in lagering is not on. Coopers kits are made in South Australia at their brewery and others in their range always come out simular to their commercial varieties. Their Sparkling Ale the produce with sediment in the bottle as the tout it made and fermented in the bottle.

I must admit at present the weather and temperature is quite resonable, even having a bit of rain which is a pleasent surprise hopefully in the catchment areas where our dams are.

I am afraid I can only judge beer against commercial types I have tried so if a brew of mine displays as good or better atributes then I am happy.

I will comment in a month on this brews taste albeit not with lime. This is too warm a climate to have anything other than lagers. I even put red wine in the fridge in summer cask of course not a good drop that gets cooled by airconditioning and left to breath properly before it gets skulled :drunk:.

Bleh, Corona is packed with adjuncts, and it's skunky. In my opinion it would be hard to get that taste. Your Coopers will probably be a lot more malty and not skunky. And possibly a little more hopped. I don't like Corona much...But I'll have to admit, it is refreshing on a blistering hot day because it is so light and easy to knock back. It's the skunk that kills me though....Bleh!

Corona is the poster child for success in advertising. Take a poor selling Mexican beer, re-invent it, raise the price and export it to yuppies as something special.. so special, you need to drink it from a long neck bottle stuffed with a lime to hide the smell.

I like Carona on a hot summer day. And I'm not ashamed of it either.:p

Oh... And I'm not a yuppie either. (Redneck maybe... but definitely not a yuppie.)

I like it on hot days as well but for some reason SWMBO loves this stuff so, it is in the secondary right now. The only thing is the color is way off, which has to be expected with lme kits, and I used a xtra light Dme. I will be kegging it this weekend so I will let you know how it tastes.

Even when I was young and foolish, I didn't care that much for Corona. Even if it was the best of that style, I'd probably not like it as much as I like a dozen other beers. In fact, I probably have enjoyed all the other mexican beers more than Corona. With or without the fruit.

Ahh! Beer.

Is there really a bad one? I know there can be badly made ones etc.

I have tried that many beers from around the world including Fosters and Budweizer. Newcastle porter (In England) Many german brews at their breweries and I have not come across one I did not like. I am not saying that I prefer some of them. I expect and hope that this Cerveza will be a light refreshing beer.

If I want something substantial I will turn to a Margeret River Cabenet Sauvignon.

To savour - "Dimple" one of my favourite Scotches, There are others Chivas, Old Pa for instance.
Favourite liquer "Drambue"

Am I an old soak :mug:

And yeah, while not being a great beer, Sol is far better than corona. That's my goto beer when I'm out and I know I'm gonna be drinking more than usual, tomorrow being one of those days (business xmas party)!!!!

Not true, the lime thing actually came from mexico, but the reason they use it is to keep the bugs out of the bottle on its long walk out to your beach towel.

But yes, it is an American thing, I've bartended for quite a while, and people just expect mexican beer to be served with lime. Even Negro Modelo, people expect a lime. I always look at them crosseyed. Then bud came out with bud lime, and landshark. It's just another mental virus that americans love to spread.

Well since starting this thread the Coopers Cerveza I have brewed has now been in the secondary for nearly 2 weeks and on tasting it I am quite pleased with the result. I do not know what goes in it but there was quite a bit more spent yeast at the bottom of the fermentor than I am used to.

It appears to be a very light beer with just a hint of bitterness and slight sweetness. I never liked lime with any Lager type.

I think that this will be a hit with the ladies on a hot day served up at about 2 deg c in a frosted thin Champagne flute.
I am sorry it will not be ready untill mid January next year. Still it is usually in the high 30's most of the time so a light beer is all you are after in those conditions.

I have never been to Mexico. My brother has and he said the beer was served too warm (Over 5 deg c) and the local brew he tried was far below Aussie standards.

He knows his beer. He was in Vietnam and told me he shared many a beer with an American patrol team he found himself assigned to. He reckoned it was a good drop they got their hands on and there was plenty of it. The Australian troups where not looked after as well so sought out some of their American mates to look after them.

:off: Several years ago I met some crew off a big American Battle ship that visited and was in Sydney Harbour. They where the first Americans I had met and I was very impressed with their manners, My wife was also pleased when they addressed her so nicely. They where seaman and in uniform and I suppose on there best behaviour but they certainly did their country proud and impressed the people in the small sports club they came to have a drink in.

So that is the impression I have of you Yanks. I guess we Australians consider you all to be our big brothers.

Well it is now just over 2 weeks in the bottle and I tried one today after 1 day in the fridge. It has not fully carbed but the taste is great. It seems to carb a lot slower that Draught's I make. Looks like another two weeks till the next try.

Just as well I have stock

You should try one of yours side by side with a Carona to see how they compare and let us know the results.

What me buy a beer?. Why do you think I make my own.

Actually I did have one a week ago, so cold it was hard to establish the correct taste. I did not mind it but from memory it did not have as full a flavour. Quite refreshing on the day, temp 35c.

I have 2 litres in a water sprayer that I am experimenting with that is building up pressure but I did over carb by about 10%.

Interesting thing is the small amount I tried, out of that sprayer, came out as foam and stayed clung to the glass.

Note to self stick nozzle into a poured beer and add a head. Ahh! I'm good, any excuse to have another beer.

:off: This must be why beer poured from a tap frothes better, must be the nitrogen introduced from the air via venturie effect.

You have heard it here but it may be a way to put a head on a good beer that looses one fast, One of my problems using can kits. The beer comes out great but any type of beer other than the dark types tend to be well carbed but with minimum head retention.

You know the steamer that frothes milk only to make a Cupachino.

I aplologise for jumping subject but I like to add things I wish to try as well as take up any suggestions given to me. No I will not jump off the harbour bridge, I'm scared of heights.

kornbread asked
You should try one of yours side by side with a Carona to see how they compare and let us know the results.

Well I was pleasently surprised. I found both Corona and my Ceveza both have a distinctive taste. For a hot country and temperatures last week touched 42c in the shade out west of Sydney where I live. So a light ice cold beer is very refreshing. served 2 to 3c.

Sorry Corona and the makers, Coopers does a better job. Better rounded taste and my beer has only been in the bottle for 3 weeks. 30 bottles have been put aside to age. Wouldent add lime though. There was a fad to have Lager and lime at one time. It did not move me.

Last comment Corona is a pleasent refreshing clean tasting beer and it or its type is a great addition to anyones celler. I do not understand why so many here seem to bag it. It is not a beer for cold countries where a slightly more robust beer is the go.

My taste varies with the seasons. Mid winter, ours not yours I prefer a good red merlot preferable Margaret River (Western Australia) Best wine growing area in the world. We sell more wine to Europe than we import.

Still that's my spin. I do not expect it to reflect the views of others

Is Corona really a yuppie beer?

Terry, nice to see that it came out alright. I've been thinking of making a cerveza and having it ready for the summer.

Latest posts

Back