Mexican Cerveza

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oildude

Reaction score
was looking at midwest online

Mexican Cerveza by Coopers on sale

midwest is recomending to

"use two cans for a five gallon batch to get a little extra "kick" in your beer"

has anyone here done this?

if so how did it taste?

thank you for looking! :mug:

Never done a kit: I like making my own recipes.

Never done a Mexican Cerveza: it's nothing but Latino BMC that is only saved via a slice of lime.

Never used pre-hopped extract: can't stand the lack of control.

But in your case...if it is indeed prehopped extract, you'll end up with a more alcoholic, hoppier beer. If that's what you're looking for, then, giddyup. Good luck!

I haven’t done any extract kits from Midwest, but their all-grain kits were pretty great.

A friend of mine does extract kits form Midwest with pretty good results. He does seem to fall short of his gravity though so you may want to keep some extra DME on hand just in case.

Give it a whirl and let us know how it turns out.

I don't know if this helps any but here goes.

My wife just got me back into homebrewing after a 15 year hiatus with a homebrew kit and my first ingredient kit which was a Brew House (www.thebrewhouse.com) Mexican Cerveza kit. It was basically a 3 gallon box of liquid no boil wort. Instructions said to top of will 3 more gallons of water, I only did about 2.5. Came with Coopers dry yeast. This thing was done fermenting and clear as a bell within about 7 days and at target gravity. I bottled at 10 days. Just opened my first one up after one week in the bottle thinking it would not have enough carb, but amazingly it did. Good head retention too.

This is actually pretty tasty beer. My friend who is of genuine mexican decent liked it too. It was not quite Corona, Pacifico, or Tecate probably because it was fermented as an ale. Nonetheless, it was light, crisp, and had a nice kick at about 5% ABV. My non-dark beer drinking friends like it.

Good Luck

Matt Foley said:
I don't know if this helps any but here goes.

My wife just got me back into homebrewing after a 15 year hiatus with a homebrew kit and my first ingredient kit which was a Brew House (www.thebrewhouse.com) Mexican Cerveza kit. It was basically a 3 gallon box of liquid no boil wort. Instructions said to top of will 3 more gallons of water, I only did about 2.5. Came with Coopers dry yeast. This thing was done fermenting and clear as a bell within about 7 days and at target gravity. I bottled at 10 days. Just opened my first one up after one week in the bottle thinking it would not have enough carb, but amazingly it did. Good head retention too.

This is actually pretty tasty beer. My friend who is of genuine mexican decent liked it too. It was not quite Corona, Pacifico, or Tecate probably because it was fermented as an ale. Nonetheless, it was light, crisp, and had a nice kick at about 5% ABV. My non-dark beer drinking friends like it.

Good Luck

I want this beer for a trip to the Wisconsin Dells in about 4 weeks

and thats what I want a vary fast to bottle beer, dont care what

style so this will work fine to get like 6 guys f(&*^&^ up :tank:

to go crash (um drive) the go carts and watch the hotties go by!:rockin:

Made several Coopers Mex beers and kept them one can only to keep light and easy. Have made many double can beers (we call them toucans .. do you call them that in the USA) Anyway, double Coopers have always been drinkable, but myself, prefer them single can with extra malt etc. And yes, Coopers Mex won't taste like Corona or Sol (the only Mex beers we get down under) but by my efforts, they are drinkable enough on a warm day (and even when it's snowing, its a warm day)

Probably would be cheaper to just use one can with a couple pounds DME and some MD. That is how I made mine and I really liked it, plenty of flavor and very clear after a wk in the primary.

Sounds like something I am going to try (one can)

Any one have a favorite DME? How much do I need? When to add to boil?

Would adding some grains maybe flaked corn do much ? .5lb 30mln mash @155F?

I want this to be drinkable by July 28th. If I brew this on June 28th and bottle one

week later Ill have 3 weeks to carb will this work?

Any other input would be helpful.

This is just for getting some guys drunk on a hot day of fun

I'm not trying to win an award so if you have a better easy

recipe for a fast to bottle drinkable extract beer post it

as im going to the lhbs to pick up supplies.

Thank you all vary much for all the help. :mug:

Since the recipe's using prehopped extract, I'd imagine that if he adds DME, he'd also want to add hops to keep it balanced.

Yes, extra malt calls for extra hops to keep basic bitterness in place. Down here I use Pride of Ringwood (all bitterness, no aroma) in a say 10 minute boil with the malt (use light malt). Don't need much - I use a small handful (10 grams or so, you work out for ounces - I guess you have a similar bitter hop in USA. Coopers in Australia recommend also using dextrose rather than all pure malt (so I go 50/50). These beers are not for purists, just meant for drunks. Go for it Oildude mate and I hope you don't poison your cobbers.

Ok so I changed my mind .

I ordered a cream ale from midwest with the smack pack.

I'm going to ferment for a week . maybe less

Clean up a little few days 7 max.

Bottle and hope for the best. :drunk:

I bet I get BEER! in the end.

Back