Mexican Beer Sucks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wulfsburg

Reaction score
So , I know I am whining here . . . . . but I just got back from Mexico a few days ago (Puerto Vallarta Specifcally), from being there for 9 days.

I could not get a glass of Ale ANYWHERE!!! It's all Tecate, Modelo (negro is OK), Corona, Sol, and Dox Equis.

There was 1 "Irish Pub" downtown, but I didn't attend as they were only boasting Guiness (not a huge fan, but still better than the lagers).

I ended up drinking a lot of Tequila. While Tequila does the trick, I wanted a nice Hefe or Ale while sitting at the beach.

While I have never been to Europe, or off the Continent for that matter, it really does make you appreciate how many fantastic beers are made here in the USA.

God Bless America :tank:

So , I know I am whining here . . . . . but I just got back from Mexico a few days ago (Puerto Vallarta Specifcally), from being there for 9 days.

I could not get a glass of Ale ANYWHERE!!! It's all Tecate, Modelo (negro is OK), Corona, Sol, and Dox Equis.

There was 1 "Irish Pub" downtown, but I didn't attend as they were only boasting Guiness (not a huge fan, but still better than the lagers).

I ended up drinking a lot of Tequila. While Tequila does the trick, I wanted a nice Hefe or Ale while sitting at the beach.

While I have never been to Europe, or off the Continent for that matter, it really does make you appreciate how many fantastic beers are made here in the USA.

God Bless America :tank:

I feel your pain. I work for a cigar company here in Miami, and I visit our factory in Nicaragua 6 or 7 times a year. I am always severely disappointed by the beer selection. It's even worse in Nicaragua than Mexico though, with two options: Tona or Victoria, both of which are very boring light lagers.

Had a Tecate at a local Mexican restaurant and thought it was pretty good - "For that style". But that's ok, because I really wanted a very light beer for dinner.

Then I went home and had some homebrew...

The only time a corona tastes good to me is when I'm in Mexico. After a few coronas on the beach I switch to mojitos or caipirinha's.

While im not a fan of those beers I will say that on a hot day on the beach a super cold light lager might just do the trick. But that is really the only time I can think of haha

Don't go to Mexico. I like Dos Equois Amber, Negra and Sol. Drink 4-5 liters of Sol in the hot Mexican sun, you'll like it.

_

Negra Modelo isn't too bad. I agree that most of them aren't great. But you have to look at the beer situation in perspective. They don't have a craft beer movement. There's really no market for it. Even if there was, it would be heavily "regulated" by the government. It's really no different than the U.S. was back before craft beer made a resurgence. They have macros that brew what the majority of people drink. No different than BMC.

Agreed. I have a project in mexico and will be going back and forth for the next year. I've been a handful of times this year and it's very disappointing.

Negro Modelo is OK. Dos XX amber is OK but not as good as Negro Modelo.
My favorite is Bohemia Obscura which i've had the past few nights.
It's hard to find, most just carry the regular Bohemia.
It's no prized possession but for Mexico, it is probably the best in my opinion.

In fact, I think i'll go have one now at the local Taco Place!

The best beer I ever had was $10 - 5 gallon buckets of Caribe on the beach in St. Martin. I made too many trips back and forth to the beach that day with a bucket in each hand. Drunk, sunburned and happy.

Not one Pacifico mention? Better than Corona, IMO and a brown bottle too boot! :p That's the only beer we drank in Cabo or Nuevo Vallarta

I feel your pain. I work for a cigar company here in Miami, and I visit our factory in Nicaragua 6 or 7 times a year. I am always severely disappointed by the beer selection. It's even worse in Nicaragua than Mexico though, with two options: Tona or Victoria, both of which are very boring light lagers.

Sounds like the perfect opportunity to move to Nicaragua and open a brewery.

Didn't go to El Deposito to pickup Mexican craft beer I take it then. Beer Bank as well... Not only to-go Mexican craft beer but American craft beer, Belgian, German and various other country's beer are represented in PV.

Not one Pacifico mention? Better than Corona, IMO and a brown bottle too boot! :p That's the only beer we drank in Cabo or Nuevo Vallarta

I had a lot of that in Cancun. Meh...versus Corona it was 6 of one, half a dozen of the other IMO.

I'd rather drink corona in cozumel than pliny at home.

I used to think that until I went there last year. We've been a few times, but the last time the violence was just starting to get bad, and I came back with the sh*ts.

I used to think that until I went there last year. We've been a few times, but the last time the violence was just starting to get bad, and I came back with the sh*ts.

You saw violence in Cozumel? We go to Playa and Cozumel and have never seen anything remotely violent. All the problems that I here about are near the border towns.

I really like Modelo Especial. Too bad I can never find it in a 12 pack in bottles. I want those little fatty's for my Apfelwein and Skeeter.

JJL said:

Violence where? Downtown? Screw that. I do all inclusive resorts in the south and killing mosquito is the only carnage I've seen.

You saw violence in Cozumel? We go to Playa and Cozumel and have never seen anything remotely violent. All the problems that I here about are near the border towns.

Didn't actually see it, but the news reports at the time were saying that even the resort areas weren't necessarily safe. Don't know if that's still the case.

Been to Cozumel 3 times and the only violence i've seen is money violently flying out of my wallet.

_

I'm a huge Modelo fan when I'm outdoors. It's usually what I grab when I go tubing/fishing.

Been to Cozumel 3 times and the only violence i've seen is money violently flying out of my wallet.

_

LOL no kidding. If you are an all inclusive (which we were at a resort that offered it, only paid for All Inclusive for 2 days) the resorts are really good about keeping vendors and shady people away from the resort on the beach. Well, at least the ones I have stayed at in Cabo and PV. We did go to the market a few times to buy food (had a suite with a kitchen), and the beer selection at Mega was just the same.

I used to think Pacifico was the bomb, and I haven't had it in years until recently. To me, they are all pretty much the same, but Pacifico is better than most IMO. I mean, yes I was in paradise for 9 days, so I just tried a lot of tequila. 3 fifths in 9 days is my record, it was hard for me to catch a buzz off that stuff ( like drinking bud light to me) . I never once had a hangover, but I did catch Montezuma's revenge for the first time . . . I am still recovering and I have had it for 1.5 weeks now, hoping I am better for the weekend....

Even after all the years brewing and especially drinking craft and imported beers since 1986, the best beer I ever had was ice cold Negra Modelo Especial bought for probably a dime a bottle in 2001, in Ensenada Mexico, and drank on a Sandbar in mexico with fish tacos where the fish was caught and fried within a half hour after is was pulled out of the bay. With a simple wedge of lime for both.

Violence where? Downtown? Screw that. I do all inclusive resorts in the south and killing mosquito is the only carnage I've seen.

What resorts have you tried? We have been to the Riu Palace and Barcelo Maya Tropical/Colonial. They were both awesome. The Barcelo is so big you could never be bored. These are both in the Riviera Maya area close to Playa Del Carmen.

Back