Methods to measure wort sugar type percentages?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Unless I'm looking at it incorrectly, the tester you linked costs $7,800. That seems a bit out of the range of most amateur brewing.

If you mean measure the total amount of fermentable sugars like the unit you linked to does for $7,800 then there is a cheaper alternative and it's called fermentation. If you mean measure the individual types of fermentable sugars even the cheapest method is well beyond the reach of any homebrewer.
The real question is what you would do with the data? Homebrewers usually don't publish in peer-reviewed journals and for simple brewing the data would be of no use.

Are there any methods for the homebrewer to measure percentages of wort sugar types, glucose, fructose, sucrose, maltose, etc...?

No.

BTW, the unit you linked doesn't measure individual sugar types.

Correct, the unit reports those sugars as one if I'm interpreting it correctly. I'm looking for a method which measures individual sugar types but it is good to know that none exist or that it is too expensive.

I'm looking for a method which measures individual sugar types but it is good to know that none exist or that it is too expensive.

You could look into near infrared spectrometers. But I suspect even "cheap" ones are out of most hombrewers' price ranges.

What is it you want to do?

Oh a GC-MS (or similar device, I'm not versed on the various applications of various spectrophotometry/chromatography devices) can definitely do what you want. But as said, they're WAY too expensive to be remotely practical for a homebrewer. Unless you're incredibly wealthy and have nothing better to spend upper 5 to 6 figures on.

Make friends with a Chemistry or BioChem or Chem-E PhD candidate. Having raised a Cornell Chem-E phd and seeing the labs he worked in they have access to what is needed and then some.

And a case of beer can go a long way with college kids surviving on stipends ;)

Cheers!

Back