Methods of aeration

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeauxBrew

Reaction score
We've all heard the pros & cons of all the areation methods, pure O2, agitation, aqurium pump, ect. And some say too much pure O2 may not be good. The question I have is enriched O2. What I am refering to is forced areation with a difuser stone with say 32% O2. I am a scuba diver and have access to enriched air that divers use in their air cylinders to increase bottom time in the water and to decrease the risk of getting the bends. Any thoughts?

I use pure O2 with my aeration stone and it works perfectly and I've had really great fermentations since I started using it.

Don't know about your question though.

Dan

Since 32% isn't much different from the 21% in free air, there won't be any real advantage to using it. But, 10 minutes would do it.

I run my O2 for 2-3 minutes, but slow enough so the bubble barely break the surface. Besides the slight O2 increase of nitrox, you're at the very least injecting clean nitrogen along with it. Those who do the slosh, shake, or other room air injecting methods are somewhat risking an infection. How are you adapting your scuba reg to get it into air tubing? I'd run it slowly for about 15-20 minutes.

I run my decompression bottle for aeration (100% O2). I put on the reg, use a wrench to remove the first stage from the LP Reg hose then fit a bit of clean tubbing over the end of the LP Hose. Stick the tube into the beer and just crack the valve open. The other end of the hose is pinched shut and perforated, sort of like a homemade aeration stone.

JimC said:
I run my decompression bottle for aeration (100% O2). I put on the reg, use a wrench to remove the first stage from the LP Reg hose then fit a bit of clean tubbing over the end of the LP Hose. Stick the tube into the beer and just crack the valve open. The other end of the hose is pinched shut and perforated, sort of like a homemade aeration stone.

Just the end of the hose or do you use a stone?

Just the end of the hose. I am cranking out way to much pressure (130psi or so) for a real stone and my jury-rigged regulator/tubbing connection. Even with the valve just cracked I think I would blow everything apart if I put a real stone on it. But it seems to work, my fermentations got a lot more vigorous since I started doing it.

Back