Methods for Removing Oxiclean Residue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
3 gallons vinegar 2 gallons water?? Lol. I pour maybe 20oz of straight vinegar in mine shake it around tip it upside down. It dissolves the residue in a couple minutes. It seems to me you have other problems.

I think the lesson everyone should take from this is don't use Oxi-clean to soak something for more than 12 hours. i use Oxi-clean for everything and some hot water and 3-4 hours later anything that is on there is disolved or loose enough that some splashing will break it apart.
Also be careful with using it on Stainless steel. it will actually eat away at it if left too long.

PBW leaves a slick residue on my equipment after draining it and rinsing it a couple of times. I rinse it with Starsan after and it gets rid of it easily.

Okay everyone, I know there's info out there on this but - I have tried hot water, a soak for two days in StarSan and nothing. This **** won't come off!

I've read that some have tried pure vinegar or even CLR. Thoughts on those?? I am just irritated when I see a nice 5 gallon carboy that I basically can't use because of Oxiclean residue.

Help!
2021 and this post is still relevant. Left my glass carboy full of Oxiclean over-night and was left with white film that would not rinse off with water or starsan. I poured a cup of vinegar and about a half cup of hot water in to it and sloshed it around for a minute and voila! Thanks guys.

Back