Metallic taste in finish beer at lower temp

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theQ

Reaction score
Alright, not sure how to describe this issue but i'd try my best.

I had a back of darker saison and ran into some wort pump issue so I couldn't recirculate thru my HERMS ( it's an out of the tank herm system - heat exchange with the water from HTL but I digress )

It mashed pretty low, I wanted to get a 152 it dropped below and couldn't really keep the temperature where should have been.

Now... well went eventually well. Aged it carboy 3+ month and I bottle it and bottle condition it but the moment I sip it at 40F it does have some metallic taste (iron?), if warms up a bit that seems to be gone.

I do RO my water and I added here some CaCl 5.5 grams if remember well - this is a 10 gallons.

This is the only batch showed this issue. I did brew 2 batches that day and I don't remember getting this in the lager (the other brew).

For spices I used grain o paradise 5 grams, some orange peel 2oz but that's pretty much it!

Bounce some thoughts here please!

Merry Christmas !

Back