Metallic taste from tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HnyBadger

Reaction score
I have a weird metallic taste in my beer when I pull off my tap. I currently have all SS shanks and SS Perlick faucets. Its only the first couple ounces that taste like this. The rest of the beer that come after that taste fine. I bought the SS shanks from beverage factory and was wondering if I got duped and there is some sort of brass component inside of it. Has anyone experienced this or know what this can be attributed to?
Cheers!

Are you confusing a metallic taste with a plasticky taste? Lots of people notice off flavors that are a result of beer sitting in the plastic tubing. If that's the case, an upgrade to barrier tubing (ex. Accuflex Bev Seal) will make a world of difference.

It totally is a plastic taste. I am going to try some new line and see if it works.

Newer vinyl line will probably have even more of a plastic taste. If you're sensitive to that flavor like I am, you might consider switching to a barrier tubing like accuflex bev-seal ultra. It has slightly less resistance than vinyl lines, so you'll need to make the lines a little longer to compensate.

Back