Metallic taste from tap

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

HnyBadger

Reaction score
I have a weird metallic taste in my beer when I pull off my tap. I currently have all SS shanks and SS Perlick faucets. Its only the first couple ounces that taste like this. The rest of the beer that come after that taste fine. I bought the SS shanks from beverage factory and was wondering if I got duped and there is some sort of brass component inside of it. Has anyone experienced this or know what this can be attributed to?
Cheers!

zachattack

Reaction score
Are you confusing a metallic taste with a plasticky taste? Lots of people notice off flavors that are a result of beer sitting in the plastic tubing. If that's the case, an upgrade to barrier tubing (ex. Accuflex Bev Seal) will make a world of difference.

OP
H

HnyBadger

Reaction score
It totally is a plastic taste. I am going to try some new line and see if it works.

JuanMoore

Getting the banned back together
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
It totally is a plastic taste. I am going to try some new line and see if it works.
Newer vinyl line will probably have even more of a plastic taste. If you're sensitive to that flavor like I am, you might consider switching to a barrier tubing like accuflex bev-seal ultra. It has slightly less resistance than vinyl lines, so you'll need to make the lines a little longer to compensate.