Metallic Off Flavor In Foam/Head

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breck09

Reaction score
I'm currently drinking my pumpkin ale that I brewed a while ago and used the Thunderstruck recipe from the forums here. I'm getting a slight metallic flavor in the foam/head that fades once the foam dissipates. I do get slight head retention that stays on the surface of the beer that looks clumpy but doesn't have the off metallic flavor that I get when there is a 2-3 finger head on the beer. This was the first beer that I carbed with the 30psi for 2 days and then brought it down to serving pressure after that. The beer does seem to be a tad over carbed so I'm wondering if the metallic flavor could come from being over carbed. The beer tasted great out of the fermenter and didn't have the off taste. Thanks in advance.

From your description it could be carbonic acid bite from over carbonation, especially if you state the beer oesn't have this off flavor and it's just in the foam.

duboman said:
From your description it could be carbonic acid bite from over carbonation, especially if you state the beer oesn't have this off flavor and it's just in the foam.

Carbonic acid was one of my thoughts but I've never tasted it before or knew what it tastes like. Guess next time I won't boost carb next time.

Latest posts

Back