Metallic/medicinal taste in Red ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arkhomer

HammerdownWPS
Reaction score
Hello all! I brewed a Red Ale a few weeks ago. It has been in the primary for 3 weeks until tonight when I kegged it. It has a medicinal or metallic taste (from reading sounds phenolic). I am a freak when it comes to cleaning and sanitizing, however on this batch when I almost had the bucket fermenter full of wort I accidentally knocked my hydrometer and tube in the wort. It had not been sanitized. It was in there approximately 20 seconds? Do you think this could have caused a bacterial issue? There were no signs of infection during fermentation.

We have really good water and I have brewed 3 batches using tap in the last few weeks. The others have no off flavors. Using a stainless brew kettle. Do you think the medicianal/metallic flavor could possibly fade over time?
20190131_204635.jpeg

It's really hard to diagnose from a distance, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

To me, metallic and medicinal are two different flavors. It would be good to have someone taste and confirm your impression that you're getting both. Maybe enter it in a contest, so you can get the unbiased feedback.

Medicinal flavors are usually a phenol. It can be related to chlorine, or mash pH, or improper use of a sanitizer. It can also be a yeast and fermentation issue - making sure you are pitching a good dose of healthy yeast and fermenting at the right temp is the solution.

I would chill it, carb it, and see if you are still getting the off flavors.

It's really hard to diagnose from a distance, so take all of this with a grain of salt.

To me, metallic and medicinal are two different flavors. It would be good to have someone taste and confirm your impression that you're getting both. Maybe enter it in a contest, so you can get the unbiased feedback.

Medicinal flavors are usually a phenol. It can be related to chlorine, or mash pH, or improper use of a sanitizer. It can also be a yeast and fermentation issue - making sure you are pitching a good dose of healthy yeast and fermenting at the right temp is the solution.

I would chill it, carb it, and see if you are still getting the off flavors.
Thank you!

Back