Metallic Flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gwood

HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've been trying to figure this one out today...here goes. My brother is telling me that his portion of an IPA batch (that I was so generous to give him as payment for help with brewing and bottling) seems to have some metallic off flavors from what he says.

Looked up what Palmer has to say:

"Metallic flavors are usually caused by unprotected metals dissolving into the wort but can also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts. Iron and aluminum can cause metallic flavors leaching into the wort during the boil. The small amount could be considered to be nutritional if it weren't for the bad taste. Nicks and cracks ceramic coated steel pots are a common cause as are high iron levels in well water. Stainless steel pots will not contribute any metallic flavors. Aluminum pots usually won't cause metallic flavors unless the brewing water is alkaline with a pH level greater than 9. Shiny new aluminum pots will sometimes turn black when boiling water due to chlorine and carbonates in the water.

The protective (grayish) oxides of aluminum can be enhanced by heating the clean pot in a dry oven at 250°F for about 6 hours"

- Don't use a ceramic coated steel pot
- Used spring water from the store (same brand as always...had good results)
- Use a stainless kettle that is really new

The one thing that stuck out:

"...also be caused by the hydrolysis of lipids in poorly stored malts"

Grains steeped:

1 # Victory
1 # Carapils
1 # Caramel 60

The Caramel 60 was pre-milled and stored in a foodsaver vacuum sealed bag in the freezer for about a month. Could this be the culprit?

Strange thing...I've yet to encounter a bottle with this off taste. What gives? Should I not store grains that have been milled?

I'm wondering if the "metallic" off flavor he is tasting might be some hop bitterness and it just seems metallic to him. You've had the same beers and they taste fine, so I don't necessarily think there is a problem here at all.

McKBrew said:
I'm wondering if the "metallic" off flavor he is tasting might be some hop bitterness and it just seems metallic to him. You've had the same beers and they taste fine, so I don't necessarily think there is a problem here at all.

I was thinking the same thing. He's pretty decent at tasting beers (I've put a few in front of him where he can actually call out the name of commercial beers - certainly knows the basic on styles as well).

I've only had two bottles out of the batch now and one of them was really way too cold...still going to reserve judgement.

Storing grains shouldn't taste metallic- if anything they'd taste stale. If they were poorly stored and actually starting to decompose or something, they might have that off-flavor. But one month in a food saver? I wouldn't think so.

How long ago did you bottle, and when did you brew the beer?

This is going to seem very obvious, but here goes..

Is the beer bottled and capped? Is he drinking it straight from the bottle?

The only time I've ever had a metallic taste in beer was when I drank straight from the bottle. Sometimes the caps can be the culprits. Easy fix = poor the beer in a glass.

Worth a shot...

YooperBrew said:
Storing grains shouldn't taste metallic- if anything they'd taste stale. If they were poorly stored and actually starting to decompose or something, they might have that off-flavor. But one month in a food saver? I wouldn't think so.

How long ago did you bottle, and when did you brew the beer?

Brewed it the last week of November I think. Stayed in the primary until 12/14, stayed in the secondary until 12/28, and has been in bottles since then.

Orpheus said:
This is going to seem very obvious, but here goes..

Is the beer bottled and capped? Is he drinking it straight from the bottle?

The only time I've ever had a metallic taste in beer was when I drank straight from the bottle. Sometimes the caps can be the culprits. Easy fix = poor the beer in a glass.

Worth a shot...

Told him the same thing...waiting for a report back today.

I had a metallic taste in a very young hefe that went completely away after a couple of weeks. Don't know if that helps...

bigjohnmilford said:
it's just green. give it another couple of weeks.

I've got a case sitting at 50F and I plan to taste it at two weeks, three weeks, and four weeks respectively. I've yet to taste any off flavors for the first batch, it's actually one of my best yet IMO.

Back