Metallic, astringent and soapy off flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkunkFunkk

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I'm having an off flavor on my last batches,

The water I use is filtrated using this filter
https://www.amazon.ca/-/fr/gp/product/B06XSG5QH4/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any opinions on this filter ?

I was thinking that the off flavor was caused by PBW in my fermenter so last brew I double rinsed it with water and then with starsan,

Earlier today I found out that my kitchen sink to garden hose adapter was rusty,
Do you think it could be the cause of my off flavors ?

Next brew I was planning on using campden tablets and also crushing my grain less thinner
Do you think the off flavor could be caused by boiling kettle trub ?
I have a conical and purge the yeast every 2 days

Thanks

Attachments

• IMG_0501.JPG
    IMG_0501.JPG
    804.1 KB · Views: 58
Could you provide some characterization of the "off flavor"?

It isn't clear what that filter has inside the shell. I'm guessing there's carbon involved but aside from that who knows?
For sure the price is pretty fancy - half that of a decent RO system here...

Cheers!

[edit] Totally spaced on the title, sorry. Did the filter manufacturer recommend running some amount of water through the filter before using it?

Last edited:
Could you provide some characterization of the "off flavor"?

It isn't clear what that filter has inside the shell. I'm guessing there's carbon involved but aside from that who knows?
For sure the price is pretty fancy - half that of a decent RO system here...

Cheers!

i second the price on the price. i paid $260 for my full row system plus a few addons its 100GPD system.

as for the flavor it could be PH in the wort, what did you brew? if it was a darker beer you could be picking up on some of the roast flavors. to me it would some times taste metallic just because of the astringency from the malt or too high of a mash PH.

i never had too low of a mash Ph but if it was a light beer with filtered water it could be a little acidic maybe soapy.

I don't think its Starsan or PBW unless you left a bunch in the fermenter i never rinse after i use Starsan and never had an issue.

@Jako

my mash Ph was from 5,5 to 5,8
I brew a fake pilsner using oslo, but even last batch which was a mango wheat hornidal i had the same off flavor,
I am not sure this amount of rust could cause that much taste, I brew 30 gal batches..

@day_trippr you're right the price is kind of expensive even though it is in canadian dollars

the off flavor is like metallic, astringent, soapy, plastic and play dough

It's my third brew on this system and I've been having theses off flavors on every single batch,
I am almost done fermenting an Omega c2c american farmhouse... i tasted it today but theres too much hop\yeast in suspension for a proper tasting ,

Also, the water I use is from my bathroom sink, and I think the piping is some kind of PVC, could it be the cause of the off flavors ?

Could the water filter be the cause of the off flavors ?

I joined the analyse of my filtrated water,

Thank you for your time

OK UPDATE, I AM USING SANICLEAN INSTEAD OF STARSAN AND IT LOOKS LIKE I HAVE TO RINSE IT, DO YOU THINK SANICLEAN COULD CAUSE THIS OFF FLAVOR ?

Attachments

• Capture d’écran, le 2019-07-08 à 01.54.45.png
    Capture d’écran, le 2019-07-08 à 01.54.45.png
    220.9 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
How does the water taste? Do you get any of these flavors when tasting just the water ran through the filter prior to brewing with it?

@Jako

my mash Ph was from 5,5 to 5,8
I brew a fake pilsner using oslo, but even last batch which was a mango wheat hornidal i had the same off flavor,
I am not sure this amount of rust could cause that much taste, I brew 30 gal batches..

@day_trippr you're right the price is kind of expensive even though it is in canadian dollars

the off flavor is like metallic, astringent, soapy, plastic and play dough

It's my third brew on this system and I've been having theses off flavors on every single batch,
I am almost done fermenting an Omega c2c american farmhouse... i tasted it today but theres too much hop\yeast in suspension for a proper tasting ,

Also, the water I use is from my bathroom sink, and I think the piping is some kind of PVC, could it be the cause of the off flavors ?

Could the water filter be the cause of the off flavors ?

I joined the analyse of my filtrated water,

Thank you for your time

OK UPDATE, I AM USING SANICLEAN INSTEAD OF STARSAN AND IT LOOKS LIKE I HAVE TO RINSE IT, DO YOU THINK SANICLEAN COULD CAUSE THIS OFF FLAVOR ?

I recently added starsan to a commercial light lager - no soap taste, almost no effect on flavor at all.

I also tried the same with oxyclean - same result - not much off flavor at all.

Both times, the amount relative to the beer quantity was much greater than the result of leaving a little in the bottom of a fermentor, or keg, when adding the beer.

Next brew day (soon!) I'm going to use RO water - I get soapy too. More here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/forum/threads/soapy-taste-in-beer-almost-solved-getting-close.669225/

Hey,

The off flavor was caused by saniclean that I use to CIP my unitank, 200ppm is the limit for a no rince use

:)

Back