Metalic taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AR-Josh

Reaction score
I made the Muntons Gold Continental Pilsner no boil kit. It was in primary for 3 weeks and secondary for 2 weeks. The room hovered around 70F most of the time. I checked and the highest I saw the fermenter at was at peak fermentation and it was 74F. I have since kegged this beer and it is just about carbed up. I took a full beer out of the keg tonight and there is a metallic taste.

After a couple gulps I had to pour it out. So I pulled the keg out of the fridge and am going to let it sit in the garage for a while before I tap it again and hook it up to pressure. Anyone experience this before? What did you do? Would I be better off if I brought it inside where it will be at room temp?

On the plus side I brewed a Sierra Nevada Pale Ale kit from my LHBS and it is MONEY!!!! I kegged it and just put it under pressure in place of the pilser to carb up.

I brewed an american wheat beer and it fermented a little on the warm side as well. I had the same exact metallic taste that you speak of and it only got worse with time.

Canned extract sometimes does have a metallic taste. It might fade a bit, but I wouldn't count on it. I'm not a fan of those no-boil kits, because the canned extract probably isn't fresh at all. A fresh kit would make a huge difference.

It has faded a good bit. To the point where no one else but me notices the slight trace of the metallic taste. It is just barely in the background. As you can see it has been about a month. So here is another testament to not throwing out your beer.

Latest posts

Back